PDA

View Full Version : pleco health

lollypop1
11-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi Guy's I was wondering if you could help me. I have a pleco in my 90ltr tank, I'm not sure on what breed he is or of how old as he is from the dental surgery I work in. I've had him myself for 9 months, he's been doing really well. I also have an angel fish and 9 tetras in the tank with him. But today I came home from work to find him lying on the bottom of the tank not really moving and he has a bulge on the top of his head just in front of his dorsal fin. Not only this but his eyes seem to have shrunk in his sockets. Is there anything I can do to the tank/him. Or does anyone know what is wrong woth him? All help would be much appriciated.

Thanks

zxtuner
11-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Pics would help the more experienced members. Also you will need to post your parameters:

How long has your tank been set up
what is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
temp
water change schedule if any
also feeding schedule and what you are feeding him
any meds you may have put in the tank

Strider199
11-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Here is a link which may help you I.D. your pleco.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/

I'm sorry I cant help you with the pleco's symptoms. Do you feed the pleco some real veggies occasionally? They love zucchini.

lollypop1
11-23-2011, 07:08 PM
hi guy's thanks for all your posts, but ufortunatly Mick died in the early hours of this morning. Still not sure what exactly caused it all other fish seem to be absolutely fine.

dbosman
11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
The shrunken eyes was an indication of very ill health. If it's any comfort it was probably a common pleco that was old before you got it. Nine months in your care means you were doing well by it.

Some plecos will appear to have a shrunken eye, but that is usually a swelling around the eye due to bumping into something while fleeing something.

smaug
11-23-2011, 10:11 PM
The shrunken eyes was an indication of very ill health. If it's any comfort it was probably a common pleco that was old before you got it. Nine months in your care means you were doing well by it.

Some plecos will appear to have a shrunken eye, but that is usually a swelling around the eye due to bumping into something while fleeing something.
If he was 2 ft long then it was old age! Or as big around as your arm and only a foot long then maybe old age.More then likely it died from other causes.

Strider199
11-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Sorry yo hear of your pleco's passing lollypop1.:scry:

burf420
10-07-2012, 04:11 AM
Pleco had white bulging eyes what do i do