PDA

View Full Version : Red Cherry Shrimp & Crystal Red Shrimp together?

Ellen4God
11-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Well, I've decided to breed bn pleco in my 30g, and I'd like to get a nice colony of shrimp for the tank as well. As I've been looking through ebay ads for plants tonight (I'm going a bit overboard! I love them ALL!!!), I saw some pictures of Crystal Red Shrimp, and I love them!! So pretty!

I did some research, but I still have a few questions about them...
-Can I keep them in the same aquarium as Red Cherry Shrimp? From what I've seen in my research, I'm pretty sure I can, but I want to make sure!
-Do they breed the same as Red Cherry Shrimp? I've read some about breeding them, but I can't find too much information. RCS are pretty easy to breed - just keep up the water conditions and put them together, and they do their thing. I can't tell if CRS are the same way.

Ellen4God
11-21-2011, 02:21 AM
After looking at prices for the Crystal Red Shrimp, I'm not so sure I'll be able to go that route. lol

Furface
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Crystal Red shrimp are more exacting in their water requirements, preferring lower ph and hardness. I have kept them with my red cherry shrimp and they get along fine. I could never get the crystals to reproduce even thogh the cherrys are gang busters and actually overpopulate. I suspect I would need to get way technical in controlling parameters to get it to work.
The crystals grew old and died, never giving a single progeny so I just stayed with the cherrys. It takes more bucks than I have to follow through on the crystals.