PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody

Tierra Linda
11-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Thank you for having this site. In reality I do not have an Aquarium now, I used to have a 90 gal tank, but now I have a close to one acre pond.
When I build the pond, which in reality is three ponds, two smaller one and the large one, I put smaller gold fish in one of the upper ponds and they became huge koi fish, then they disappeared, I do not know if they are still there or not, since the pond is deep (8 feet).
In the larger pond I have channel catfish, bass and blue gills, and quite a little bit of algae...Does anybody knows the consequences of introducing Koi fish in that large pond?
Thanks for any useful answer before I make a mistake...

Strider199
11-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Not sure where you are located but if there are snapping turtles around your area the koi may have become their source of food.

Koi will get along with your channel catfish, bass and blue gills if they are about the same size and if the koi spawn the other fish will have an abundant food source.

It's always difficult to control algae. Check out the "pond" section on the forum, maybe you'll find an answer there.

Welcome to the AC Tierra Linda.

Tierra Linda
11-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Thank you for having this site. In reality I do not have an Aquarium now, I used to have a 90 gal tank, but now I have a close to one acre pond.
When I build the pond, which in reality is three ponds, two smaller one and the large one, I put smaller gold fish in one of the upper ponds and they became huge koi fish, then they disappeared, I do not know if they are still there or not, since the pond is deep (8 feet).
In the larger pond I have channel catfish, bass and blue gills, and quite a little bit of algae...Does anybody knows the consequences of introducing Koi fish in that large pond?
Thanks for any useful answer before I make a mistake...
Hello Strider, thank you for replying.
I am located in the town of Galena in North West Illinois, near Dubuque Iowa. The Mississippi river is about two mile and yes I have seen two snapping turtles near the pond. I caught them and dump them on a creek about one mile away. The pond has a few painted turtles that reproduce every year since I have seen a few little ones. I also have blue herons visiting in the Spring. I am glad that you say that there is no conflict with the Koi fish...so I am going to do it. Tierra Linda means Beautiful Earth and I converted the old farm into a dog friendly Bed and Breakfast called Tierra Linda. Thanks again,
Armando

Strider199
11-22-2011, 01:35 AM
It was a lone Blue Heron that emptied my back yard koi pond on morning. Mind you I only had 6 koi in the pond which were approx. 4 inches in length.

"Tierra Linda means Beautiful Earth and I converted the old farm into a dog friendly Bed and Breakfast called Tierra Linda."

That sounds wonderful Tierra Linda. Good luck.thumbs2: