PDA

View Full Version : filthy filthy tank

dfellows
05-14-2006, 10:24 PM
So while rummaging through my family's garage I found our old 35 gallon tank. I had always loved it as a kid so I decided to get it out and set it up. The problem is it has been sitting in the garage for at least 10 years, you can imagine the state it's in. So far I've hosed it and wiped it down with paper towels. It helped but there are still a few spots that just won't come clean. I know not to use soap and was wondering if there is any kind of cleaning solution that would be safe to use, I would like to use some kind of sterilizing solution cause it was real nasty. Any help with this problem would be apreciated. Thanks.

rollie
05-14-2006, 10:30 PM
believe it or not ,i use alot of sunlight soap, to clean tanks. but it might be best you do not try it.

William
05-14-2006, 10:32 PM
You can use soap for this clean as long as you rinse the tank very carefully afterwards, and than rinse it again and again. ;-)

There are however other alternatives you could use like vodka and vineager. You should however rinse carefully after using those too.

Don't forget to check if the tank leaks if it has been standing empty for that long.

rollie
05-14-2006, 10:40 PM
vodka, that a new one, might have some happy fish. vineagar (apple cider) will cause your ph to drop like a rock. i sometimes use it in my tanks, with fish in them.

dfellows
05-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I'll try using a little vinegar. The tank seems to be ok, been sitting full of water for about 2 hours now without any leaking.

CoryCat
05-14-2006, 10:46 PM
I would use dilute bleach - and rinse rinse rinse is the key to whatever you use :)

Sounds like you have a nice find there matey, keep us posted on the progress and setup :)

dfellows
05-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Well the vinegar plus a razor blade is getting the job done pretty well, looking ahead I wanted to get some neons as my first fish for the tank. Do they make good first fish, if so how many should i get? If not any other suggestions.

William
05-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Neons can be a little to sensetive to use a cycle fish. Migh want get a couple of more haryd fish first and have in the tank while it cycles.

rollie
05-15-2006, 12:26 AM
I AGREED.

dfellows
05-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Well last night I thought I had cleaned it out pretty well, but today after drying out there were still spots all over the tank, so day 3 of tank cleaning begins. I'm also planning on going to some local fish stores to look for equipment, any suggestions on heater and gravel filtratrion system brands before I go so I know what to look for.

65Guy
05-17-2006, 09:55 PM
there are lots of chemicals in old garages and storage areas and the tank could be "etched" with some of those, and short of polishing, you might now get them out. but i always (at least final cleaning) with aquarium salt...
i put in on a rag and use it as an abrasive

Squirt0170
06-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Aquarium Salt can also be used for cleaning.