PDA

View Full Version : New Planted Tank - Brown Leaves

orroo
11-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi guys,
I set up my first planted tank last week. It's a Juwel Rio 240 litre with 2x54w T5 bulbs.

I have an eheim 2217 external filter. The substrate is caribsea eco complete.

I filled the tank last monday, added a few white cloud minnows on the tuesday and left it for a few days to begin cycling. I added a few more white clouds on the friday (up to 10 now). I added a few beginner plants on Saturday morning. I'm not sure exactly what they all are, but I was assured
at the LFS that they would be ok in my tank.

Basically, after a week in the tank, the plants are all looking quite rough. I have a vallis which seems to be sticking it out, but I have some kind of ozelot and a crypt that are going dull in colour. The ozelot is getting brown spots on the leaves.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to why they are turning brown. My PH seems to be around 7.5, although the eco-complete packaging said that the substrate may buffer the PH for a short while and give incorrect readings. My ammonia is somewhere between 0 and 0.1 on the chart that came with the kit (I can't remember the units, but basically 0).

I don't have a CO2 setup yet - I was planning on getting a CO2 injection setup at the end of the month when I get paid (fish tanks are expensive!). I was thinking that a lack of CO2 in the tank is possibly preventing the plants from photosynthesising properly, rather than it actually being a problem with my light levels.

What I don't want to do is run out and get the CO2 setup, and it doesn't sort the problem out, or worse yet, encourages some kind of algae problem or something like that. Saying that, I think I'm right in thinking that adding CO2 shouldn't really affect algae levels...

Just wanted to see if the lack of CO2 was likely the culprit, or whether I'm overlooking something here.

A last bit of info - my lights are currently on for ten hours per day. That seemed like an average amount, given that most posts I've read, people have quoted from 8 to 12 hours.

Cheers thumbs2:

Trillianne
11-18-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't know about your other plant but I know crypts when they are first obtained or if they are moved about can go through a bit of a melty phase where they wilt off quite a bit before they regrow back.

This link could be helpful in tracking down possibilities of lacking nutrients:
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/deficiencies.htm

bmwguy525
11-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Do you have the plants buried or floating? What temperature is your water?

orroo
11-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Sorry about the slow reply guys.

The plants are all rooted in the substrate.

They are all still looking rather "ropey", but I have started adding flourish excel (for about three days now) and the ozelot seems to be recovering slightly.

Water temperature is 24/25 degrees.

I think maybe I need to get cracking with some fertz etc. Just trying to figure those out now. I've been pretty busy this week and haven't had a lot of time to read up.

Are there any "all in one" solutions for fertilisers? I'm just looking on this site:
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/water-parameters-fertilisers-c-544_208.html?page=1&sort=20a

Thinking of picking up some of the AE design ones as they seem like they'll go further in my 240G tank. From what I can tell, I'd need to pick up the Nitrogen and Phosphorus, but not the carbon as that is what the flourish excel is dosing, is that right?

Saying that, as I only currently have a few plants in there, do I really need to start fertilising? Wouldn't the fish (10 white cloud minnows now and 4 peppered cories) provide most of the nutrients needed?

I'm wondering if the problems are more related to the fact that the tank is still cycling, although water parameters seem to be stable and the fish look happy enough.

Bigge3415
11-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Im not a plant person so I am no help there. But I would suggest your first purchase should be a freshwater liquid master test kit. Most of us on here use api freshwater master test kit. Cycling with fish is a long process and you need to be on top of water parameters. I also suggest you read this thread about cycling with fish. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36492

Trillianne
11-25-2011, 05:40 PM
From my math it looks like you have quite a bit of light for your tank, so adding ferts so that your plants can use that light is a good thing.

Start with a comprehensive fert and then see how your plants grow. If they are missing any key nutrient you will see signs. Many plants will do well with liquid, but some plants need root ferts. (Swords in particular) Just like you need to look up your fish stock... you have to do some reasearch on your plant stock too.

orroo
11-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Cheers for the info guys.

Trillianne - it's funny, when I went to the shop, I had a good idea of some fairly "beginnery" plants I was looking for, but of course, they didn't have any, and instead recommended me some others. I hate being at the mercy of the staff in store, preferring to go in armed with a list of what I need. I decided to chuck a few in and see.

I think what I will do is pick up some liquid fertiliser, and concentrate on getting a pressurised CO2 system in over the next few weeks. Once I have the CO2 system in, I might bulk order some plants online. Know what I'm getting that way. I think I'll just back off it for another week or so and see how the cycle goes, add the CO2, and THEN add some more plants.

Thanks again!

Goes to 11!
11-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Give your plants some time, It takes more than 2 weeks for them to adjust to your water. You should also be aware that Corys are not appropriate for a cycling tank.

Waterfroggy
11-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Yes, time might be the key here. I bought home a bunch of plants and several of them went through a terrible time of losing leaves and looking sad, then in a couple weeks they all had new growth and they look great now.

I just patiently picked off and out the dead leaves and waited.

Good luck!

Lady Hobbs
11-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Are you sure this is not diatoms starting to grow on the plants? If the brown stuff simply wipes off, then it is and will go away on it's own in a couple months. If it's dead material, remove all of it.