PDA

View Full Version : 2 Fiddler Crabs additions

Pamela2Heaven
11-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Just picked up 2 Fiddler Crabs this weekend - a fairly large female and a small male. They are so fascinating to watch! Had to get creative to fix a tank up for them to make sure they had climbing space to air. Made a rock wall out of pvc pipe and river rock...also added a couple of betta leaves suctioned to the side and that is where the male has been most of the time. This morning the female was on top of the rock wall.Tried to get a pic but came out too dark. Will try again later. I am going to get some sand later on today - right now they have gravel - but I am sure they would prefer sand so they can bury down if they want.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Fiddler Crabs a brackish species? You have brackish water for them?

Pamela2Heaven
11-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Yes, I do - I did my homework beforehand - added aquarium salt.

KingFisher
11-13-2011, 01:56 PM
You need to use marine salt, not aquarium salt. They are not the same thing.

Cliff
11-13-2011, 02:01 PM
I would also suggest getting a refactormeter so you can get accurate salinity measurements when testing your water

Fishkeeper
11-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Fiddlers are really happiest with a tiny beachlike habitat-shallow water and a gentle slope leading to an area of sand. They will burrow in the sand. You will definitely want a way to measure salinity.

Pamela2Heaven
11-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the tips - marine salt duly noted - sloped sand in place - lots of climbing room. 20% water - so it is shallow and very beachy. Just got back from Petsmart - bought the sand - crab salt - food pellets - they look happy as clams, I mean crabs. :ssmile:

johnbrooke
01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
congrats on the crabs beware they are escape artist!!!!! lol