PDA

View Full Version : How to anchor plants

ldoerr
11-13-2011, 02:51 AM
I bought some plants from mikes wet pets on ebay about a month ago. The plants have not grown roots yet and keep popping out of the substrate and floating abound the tank. The plants are bunch plants. They came with plant weights attached but the plants have slipped out of them. My questions are 1) how can I get the plants to stay on the ground and not float? 2) how can I get the plants to grow roots? I dose the tank a couple of times a week with Seachem Flourish. I have 1 plant that has grown roots and that is it.

Help would be much appreciated.

rich311k
11-13-2011, 03:03 AM
Plant each stem individually at a bit of an angle they should stay down. They will grow roots over time. What type of plants are they?

ldoerr
11-13-2011, 03:19 AM
LLOYDELIA GREEN
LUDWIGIA PERUENSIS
WISTERIA
CABOMBA GREEN

They always seem to come up when I put them in the gravel. I have to weight them down and they still come up. The only one that has grown roots so far is the Ludwigia peruensis. The Wisteria has not come up yet so It might have rooted. The LUDWIGIA PERUENSIS sheds a couple of leafs every day that get stuck to the filter intake pipe. The plant that I am having problems with right now is the LLOYDELIA GREEN. I had some ANACHARIS but I could not get them to stay on the floor of the aquarium. I hated to throw them away especially since they were growing, but they kept getting stuck to the filter. Any ideas as to what I can do?

RachelJette
11-13-2011, 04:30 AM
It's possible that one or more of the fish in the tank could be uprooting your plants. Some cats are known to be diggers. What type of fish do you have in your tank?

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2011, 06:42 AM
I leave my stem plants with the lead weight attached and just toss the bunch in the tank for a couple weeks. By then, they will have roots and then I plant them. You can lay rocks around the stems to help them stay down, as well. Do you have gravel in the tank? Hard to keep stems down in gravel and they also don't root well in gravel.

You said something about planting the stems but said the lead weights are slipping off. If you are planting the stems, you have to remove those weights so you can position the stems where you want them.

Also, do you have plant lights or hood lights? Plants aren't going to take off well with only hood lights and perhaps why it's taking so long to get some roots. Most stem plants will show roots very quickly with sufficient lighting but not grow at all under hood lights.

Plant questions go in the plant section so this has been moved.

kross
11-13-2011, 07:02 AM
I use CA glue to glue a pebble to the base of the stem. Not only does this weigh the plant down, I can bury the pebble in the gravel and it stays put. I figure if people use CA glue to attach plants to driftwood, it would work for this, too.

korith
11-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Just anchor the plant in by putting it deep into the substrate, you use a few larger rocks to hold the stem in place. If the plants still keep getting loose, might be a fish doing it.

ldoerr
11-14-2011, 03:09 AM
I leave my stem plants with the lead weight attached and just toss the bunch in the tank for a couple weeks. By then, they will have roots and then I plant them. You can lay rocks around the stems to help them stay down, as well. Do you have gravel in the tank? Hard to keep stems down in gravel and they also don't root well in gravel.

You said something about planting the stems but said the lead weights are slipping off. If you are planting the stems, you have to remove those weights so you can position the stems where you want them.

Also, do you have plant lights or hood lights? Plants aren't going to take off well with only hood lights and perhaps why it's taking so long to get some roots. Most stem plants will show roots very quickly with sufficient lighting but not grow at all under hood lights.

Plant questions go in the plant section so this has been moved.

The light that I have is the one that came with the tank kit that I bought. It is an 8000k bulb. I do not know the wats. I do have gravel in the tank. The gravel depth is about 1 inch so not very deep. By planting the stems I ment that I pushed the bunch into the gravel a little bit. That was the directions that I got from Mikeswetpets. I do not have rocks in the tank other than the gravel. It is a black gravel with multi colored pieces mixed in. It is just standard petco gravel.

Someone mentioned CA glue. What is that, where do you get it and if it is hard to find would aquarium silicone work?

kross
11-14-2011, 03:39 AM
CA glue is cyanoacrylate glue. It's the generic name for Super Glue, Krazy Glue, LocTite, etc.

vinodjbhatia
11-14-2011, 09:31 AM
I just recently planted Cabombas and faced the same problem - they just wouldnt stay. And I was always replanting them. To solve the problem, I ended up having more gravel in the area where i have my plant, approximately 2 inches deep. I then made a finger hole through the gravel and quickly inserted the stem in about an inch or so. The moment I moved my finger out, the surrounding gravel filled up the hole and the plants stay in.

Just to ensure my fish do not move the plants or dig through the gravel, I have surrounded my plants with rocks about 2 x 1 inches in size.

Hopefully this will solve the issue and the plants will start growing. Its just been a week so I am still waiting to see the results on mine.

Lady Hobbs
11-14-2011, 05:58 PM
I just checked the plants from Mike I got last Friday. I wanted the L. Peruensis but he was out of them so I order boardleaf Ludwigia. I got them Friday and already today roots have started to grow. I will plant them next week.

AmyLynn
11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
The light that I have is the one that came with the tank kit that I bought. It is an 8000k bulb. I do not know the wats. I do have gravel in the tank. The gravel depth is about 1 inch so not very deep. By planting the stems I ment that I pushed the bunch into the gravel a little bit. That was the directions that I got from Mikeswetpets. I do not have rocks in the tank other than the gravel. It is a black gravel with multi colored pieces mixed in. It is just standard petco gravel.

Someone mentioned CA glue. What is that, where do you get it and if it is hard to find would aquarium silicone work?

Most tank kits do not have a high enough wattage to grow plants successfully. I've also found that a lot of stem plants are somewhat demanding as far as lights and fertilizers. Plain aquarium gravel may not have what they need. You can try getting some fertilizer tablets to put down in the gravel around your plants. Or look at some of the plant substrates such as Florimax or Flourite. Good luck with your plants! They make for a beautiful tank if you can stay patient while you learn the best way to grow them. thumbs2: