PDA

View Full Version : New cherry shrimps not fairing so well

d_lit_e
11-13-2011, 12:46 AM
I bought 6 cherry shrimps today to add to my 29g that is stocked with, 1 male betta, 18 neon netras, 2 fancy guppies and 8 ghost shrimps. I just noticed that an adult ghost shrimp was feeding on a cherry shrimp :( These guys are starting to turn out to be really expensive treats:greencry:

Brhino
11-13-2011, 03:42 AM
lots of things eat cherry shimp. The betta may develop a taste for them too. There are very few other things you can stock with them if you're not prepared to potentially lose them.

toddnbecka
11-13-2011, 03:58 AM
Ya, unfortunately ghost shrimp will eat cherry shrimp or just about any similar species. Cherry shrimp are really best kept in a tank of their own if you want them to thrive.

d_lit_e
11-14-2011, 03:47 AM
Well I am happy to say that my male betta is starting to realize that the cherry shrimp are just miniature versions of the ghost shrimp(he is a very curious betta) The ghost shrimp have started to accept the the cherry shrimps as their own kind and the cherry shrimp aren't hiding in the nook and crannies but are instead chilling out in the openthumbs2:

I now have a mix of about 10 shrimps, how many more cherry shrimps do you guys think it will be okay for me to add to my stock before the bottom dwellers get territorial?

toddnbecka
11-14-2011, 04:32 AM
Shrimp aren't territorial critters, you can keep hundreds of them in a 10 gallon tank. Ghost shrimp also eat their own young, so don't assume the cherry shrimp are safe.

bmwguy525
11-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Yes don't make the mistake of thinking that just because the cherries are out in the open that they're safe from now on. They may just as well be gone when you wake up one morning.

d_lit_e
11-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the inputs guys, I still want to add more spice to my tank without jacking up the bioload. Is there an other readily available species of shrimp that would work in a community tank or should I just stick with ghost shrimp?

Fishkeeper
11-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Amano and/or bamboo shrimp are larger than ghosts, but are peaceful.

d_lit_e
12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Since my last post I have spotted tiny baby cherry shrimps while doing a gravel vacuum cleaning, those guys are so tiny that I thought I was sucking out pieces of ghost shrimp molt, close call! I wasn't lucky for too long because I noticed a few all mangled that I must of killed while jabbing the python hose into the gravel:cussingwhite:

mermaidwannabe
12-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Looks like your shrimp could benefit from some floating fry mats to hide in. I float mine upside-down ("grassy" side toward the substrate), and those, combined with other floating plants, particularly thick java moss, seem to provide good protection. You can get fry mats at any aquarium store, at PetCo or PetSmart, or through Pet Solutions catalog or Foster & Smith.

-- mermaidwannabe

d_lit_e
12-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Great ideal with the upside down fry mats, I'll get one of those while I look for java moss (its so darn rare in my area )