PDA

View Full Version : serpaes flirting??

ashm5
08-10-2007, 05:06 PM
I have 7 serpae tetras and as I just went up stairs to see my tank I noticed that one of them was being chased around the tank and then it stopped and started displaying just like my kribs do when they are flirting, do you think this is for the same reason or am I just getting my hopes up and also does anyone now how to tell which sex is which with serpaes?

Algenco
08-10-2007, 07:57 PM
that would be part of the mating ritual

ashm5
08-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Oh yay! lol never been able to breed anything in my tanks so far not even guppys, danios, kribs or mollies (all of which are labeld as the asiest fish to breed) hooopefully this lot may have some luck :D

troy
08-11-2007, 05:22 AM
It might just be aggression.

ashm5
08-11-2007, 11:30 AM
how will i know the difference?

Lady Hobbs
08-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't think fish flirt. Probably just an aggression issue.

ashm5
08-11-2007, 01:17 PM
hmmmm well then again this points towards giving up on these and I may aswell get a cichlid tank, if u've read any of the other threads posted by me then you'll see that they have all ended up with me getting cichlids any sggestions on this?

Algenco
08-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Spawning numerous species of egg scattering fish begin with males chasing the females until they are ready to release their eggs, others will attempt to drive the female to the chosen spawning site , a clump of Java moss, fine leaved plant and then display, when the female is ready she will join the male at his chosen spot. With some species the spawning ritual can be quite violent. female will often have large area where the scales are knocked off by the highly aggressive males.

Since you said there was displaying taking place, I feel it was an attempt to spawn

ashm5
08-12-2007, 08:58 AM
thanks that what I thought it was as I have some kribs who also do it and when I researched that it was apparently the same thing

Bill M.
08-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Serpaes are very well known fin nippers... they terrorized my black skirts untill I increased thier numbers to 5... just look out for nipping.. if they get too agressive, get them thier own tank or try to increase thier numbers..

ashm5
08-12-2007, 05:26 PM
haha I know I learnt that the hard way they're being rehomed very soon lol