PDA

View Full Version : how easy is it to breed ghost shrimp?

free3tbz
11-11-2011, 05:35 AM
how do you breed ghost shrimp...and how long does it take?...is there a better species for speed?

toddnbecka
11-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Ghost shrimp are generally impossible to breed successfully in aquariums. There are dozens (or more) different species sold as "ghost shrimp", and most require salt or brackish water for the larvae, then a gradual transition to fresh. There are a few species that will breed in fresh water, but the larvae are still very difficult to raise in any numbers, and the adults will eat them.
There are a good variety of easier species to breed, cherry and crystal red shrimp are the most common ones. Their offspring are miniature adults, no larval stages to deal with, and they don't eat their young.

free3tbz
11-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Ghost shrimp are generally impossible to breed successfully in aquariums. There are dozens (or more) different species sold as "ghost shrimp", and most require salt or brackish water for the larvae, then a gradual transition to fresh. There are a few species that will breed in fresh water, but the larvae are still very difficult to raise in any numbers, and the adults will eat them.
There are a good variety of easier species to breed, cherry and crystal red shrimp are the most common ones. Their offspring are miniature adults, no larval stages to deal with, and they don't eat their young.

cherry shrimp ive heard of...but i never ever see any in stock....

do you know if they would survive in a tank with red crabs?

free3tbz
11-11-2011, 06:11 AM

korith
11-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Most shrimp end up as food for other inhabitants of fish tanks. About the only fish I've safely kept shrimp with are otocinclus and small rasboras that are less an inch in size. Red cherry shrimp are fairly easy to find, and usually sell for a dollar each. You can usually find someone in the classified section over on plantedtank.net forum selling some.

free3tbz
11-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Most shrimp end up as food for other inhabitants of fish tanks. About the only fish I've safely kept shrimp with are otocinclus and small rasboras that are less an inch in size. Red cherry shrimp are fairly easy to find, and usually sell for a dollar each. You can usually find someone in the classified section over on plantedtank.net forum selling some.

how do they ship? and do they ship to canada?

im basically looking for an easy food source for my predatory fish... how quickly do they breed?...do yoou need a male and a female..?

so many questions

Goes to 11!
11-11-2011, 09:37 PM
im basically looking for an easy food source for my predatory fish... how quickly do they breed?...do yoou need a male and a female..?

so many questions

All those questions [& more] easily answered here (http://bit.ly/uITyBD) with no waiting around for the answer. thumbs2: :22:

free3tbz
11-11-2011, 10:21 PM
All those questions [& more] easily answered here (http://bit.ly/uITyBD) with no waiting around for the answer. thumbs2: :22:

thought you guys might want to actually help...thanks

Goes to 11!
11-11-2011, 10:51 PM
thought you guys might want to actually help...thanks

Considering the pace at which you are posting I doubt anyone could possibly keep up so I was simply pointing out something I [I]thought should be pretty obvious.

It's quicker to pro-actively seek answers from multiple sources rather than to passively sit and wait for them to be delivered. Try it and see. :22:

free3tbz
11-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Considering the pace at which you are posting I doubt anyone could possibly keep up so I was simply pointing out something I [I]thought should be pretty obvious.

It's quicker to pro-actively seek answers from multiple sources rather than to passively sit and wait for them to be delivered. Try it and see. :22:

im sorry the boards are so quiet i wont bore you guys anymore

korith
11-13-2011, 12:00 AM
how do they ship? and do they ship to canada?

so many questions

They ship in a box. Shrimp go into a plastic bag with a few bits of plants to hang onto. Maybe a fist sized bag, can hold at least 20 red cherry shrimp. And for shipping to other countries that is an issue, most countries have restriction on importing live plants/animals. Have to find a seller that is local to canada, here is a link http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/canada-swap-n-shop/ can try your luck there.

You'll need male and females. The best bet to get a thriving colony going is to get at least a dozen red cherry shrimp, in a few months there will be hundreds.

free3tbz
11-13-2011, 02:00 AM
They ship in a box. Shrimp go into a plastic bag with a few bits of plants to hang onto. Maybe a fist sized bag, can hold at least 20 red cherry shrimp. And for shipping to other countries that is an issue, most countries have restriction on importing live plants/animals. Have to find a seller that is local to canada, here is a link http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/canada-swap-n-shop/ can try your luck there.

You'll need male and females. The best bet to get a thriving colony going is to get at least a dozen red cherry shrimp, in a few months there will be hundreds.

cheers man i appreciate the help... im hoping to get about 200 in rotation for food.

i was also considering convicts...since i know they breed quickly.

thanks again

korith
11-13-2011, 02:02 AM
cheers man i appreciate the help... im hoping to get about 200 in rotation for food.

i was also considering convicts...since i know they breed quickly.

thanks again

Well shrimp aren't that filling, more of a treat than anything. Convicts or maybe guppies might be easier to use as feeders.

free3tbz
11-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Well shrimp aren't that filling, more of a treat than anything. Convicts or maybe guppies might be easier to use as feeders.

would cherrys be able to live and breed with guppies?

korith
11-14-2011, 04:44 AM
would cherrys be able to live and breed with guppies?
most likely the smaller shrimp would end up as guppy food.

free3tbz
11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
most likely the smaller shrimp would end up as guppy food.

kk thhought so...thanks you were very helpful