PDA

View Full Version : Could my iridescent shark be pregnant?

JillyFish
08-10-2007, 04:55 AM
I've been researching the breeding of iridescent sharks all night. I have only found info that says "does not breed in captivity" and "only in massive ponds in thailand." However, one of my two iridescent sharks is pretty fat. It looks like she swallowed a ping-pong ball. ((I have not had any ping-pong playing going on near my tank lately so I doubt that is it.)) Anyway, I understand that by having only two, it would be severely rare that the two are a mated pair. I also understand that they are still relatively small, perhaps 8 inches, 10 inches at the biggest. The one that looks pregnant is the bigger one. I figured it was a female, although I am not sure. I have "her" in a sixty gallon with gold severums, a parrot fish, the other iridescent, and several catfish. I understand that this is rare, but could somebody maybe give me a bit of insight? If she is pregnant, I would really like to have her lay the eggs and have them hatch successfully. Maybe she just ate too much though. Here is a picture of her:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/Jillelizim/preggerz.jpg

Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

ashm5
08-10-2007, 04:31 PM
I've never kept these fish and haven't really researched into them but i've heard that some fish get a bump like that if they have something wrong with them i.e constipation etc. (you'd have to ask someone else about these sort of things as I haven't personally experienced this) try looking on some other threads, it's possible that this couldbe the reason for the bloating but I'd isolate her in a seperate tank if possible so that if she is pregnant then the fry wont be eaten or if she is ill then she can recover with some treatments hope I helped keep posting though would like to know how it turned out

JillyFish
08-10-2007, 05:13 PM
thanks...i'm not sure...she's eating like normal (which is like a pig) so I think she's not really unhealthy...but i'm not sure. Thanks for the info, I didn't even think about that.

Incredulous_Ed
08-10-2007, 07:19 PM
I believe she is just fat. Sorry, but sharks like that get fat easily.

Dave66
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Sorry to inform you, but iridescent sharks don't breed in aquariums as no one I know has a tank large enough to keep a school of them (they are schooling fish, you know). You are aware they get four feet long, aren't you?
Not to grind, but people selling baby Pangasius species to unsuspecting hobbyists ticks me off. Wish they'd left them in the Mekong river where they belong.

Dave

JillyFish
08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
i'm quite aware, thank you...i'm not an unsuspecting hobbyist. I used to have five, including one without fins that i adopted from the pet store I work at. I figured she was just fat. At least she's fat/healthy. I said in the first post that I highly doubted that she was pregnant, because of how they breed. But thank you guys though, I appreciate your help. :)

MeganL3985
08-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Sorry but there are a lot of unsuspecting hobbyists who come on here. Also if you're asking about something thats highly unlikely, it kind of comes off like you don't know much about the species. I don't want to sound like i'm being rude or anything, but your a new member, people who are trying to help don't what knowledge level your on, speaking in terms of fish keeping. Again I don't mean for this to come off as rude, but just thought I'd mention.

MeganL3985
08-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry to inform you, but iridescent sharks don't breed in aquariums as no one I know has a tank large enough to keep a school of them (they are schooling fish, you know). You are aware they get four feet long, aren't you?
Not to grind, but people selling baby Pangasius species to unsuspecting hobbyists ticks me off. Wish they'd left them in the Mekong river where they belong.

Dave

I agree, my local Petsmart is selling them here and claiming they only get 10" long max. It ticks me off as well.

Cailin
03-21-2008, 09:26 PM
I have a Iridescent shark that looks like the one posted at the beginning of this forum. I bought it from walmart as its a joy to watch not to mention a beautiful fish. I know its been awhile but was curious to know if you ever found out if it was sick?

Drumachine09
03-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Ooolllldddd topic man.

cocoa_pleco
03-22-2008, 03:34 AM
threads from last august

Wasted_Elmo
10-25-2008, 08:46 PM
hmm

i was passing google when i came upon this post

i have an iridescent shark
and i notice it be getting fat like the one in the picture
at the start of this post

but this is due to me feeding
sometimes the food that my other fishes dont eat

ends up at the bottom
and guess who cleans up the mess

the shark cause i hear it just move marbles just to get to the food
by any means so it will eat alot and really get fat

and gets really pudgy so if its prego i doubt cause i did alot of reading and some how you have to create some like environment so they know in there minds when to breed its like neon tetras in witch i have as well in the tank
they are hard cause they lay eggs like white clouds

but these sharks are known to grow about 3 ft or 50 inches
depending on how you keep it cause if you keep it in a small tank it can grow to only six to twelve inches in length and die prematurely from organ failure

altho its a 50 gallon tank
i keep mine with in white clouds and neon tetras, guppies
i got a few Chinese algae eaters
and one dwarf algae eater

once they get to a size they will eat alot more
and some how if you have fishes that breed well
the babies will end up in his mouth

they are known to eat fishes that are 1 in or less
what ever its able to fit in its mouth it will eat
depending on how big it is

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Wasted_Elmo, when they are full grown they wouldn't even notice a 1" fish in their mouth. A 1" fish isn't even a snack for a fish that is 48-60" long.

Auryana
04-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Maybe the shark is just fat ours was alone and she was real fat! to tell if it is a boys are sleeker and girls have darker stripes.

Aeonflame
04-21-2010, 11:49 PM
This thread is from 2008!

Jacko
04-22-2010, 12:02 AM
2007 aeon...

tanks4thememories
04-22-2010, 12:41 AM
ROTFL!!:hmm3grin2orange:

panda cory fan
05-09-2011, 06:54 PM
my iridescent shark had the same thing but he/she died a couple days later