PDA

View Full Version : Que re: java ferns

HEADIN
11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
i have a question regarding java ferns.. ok so i added some ferns to my tank a few weeks back.. they where cuttings i got offf ebay and are starting to grow sohappy days.

However, as you can see from the pics ive attached.. at the tips of some of the big leaves there is a lot of new leaves and growth.. why is this? is this normal for them to grow there? im not sure if the brown root sort of thing at these points are roots and attached themselves to the leaves in transit maybe?? is there anyway i can separate all the new growth off to plant it maybe??

Im new to plants etc so would like to separate them if i can to try and get my tank densely planted..

Also, any advice on the best way to structure plants in tanks?
Should i keep all the same species of plant together in the same area?

thanks

Aeonflame
11-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Thats perfectly normal. When the daughter plants grow large enough you can remove them and plant them elsewhere. Java fern should be attached to hardscape and the rhizome should never be buried deeply in the substrate.

As for plant structure... its a matter of personal choice. Most people prefer to group similar plants and arrange them to create perspective in the tank. Above all else, there are no rules. Just do what you think looks right.

Lady Hobbs
11-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I was reading just yesterday that when java fern get those plantlets that it's because the tank is low in nutrients. I have no idea if that's fact or not but I was surprised to have read that as it happened to my ferns once.

But in your first photo, I am seeing the beginning of a lot of green spot algae. You need to get in there and use a razor blade and get that stuff out of there before it takes over your tank. I recently got it in my tank, too, and decided I was allowing too much light. You may want to tackle it now before it gets all over tho?

HEADIN
11-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Ive been wondering about adding ferts to my tank to give my plants a boost but Ive no idea if I need it or not or if it would be of benefit.

Im scraping the algae off weekly with a blade to keep it under control. Its been showing up now for a few weeks.

I tried reducing the feeding and the length of time my light is on but it hasnt had any effect.

My tank is near my bedroom window so im thinking that is maybe the reason/ cause behind the algae growth with the extra natural daylight.

Unfortunately its the only spot I have for my tank so no chance of moving it away from where it is.

HEADIN
11-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Should I go ahead then and take of the new growth leaves at the end of the bigger 1s?

How should I go about removing them? Just snip the top of the leaves off? Or will it come of itself?

Im plannin on movin plants today during my wc so any help would be great?

Aeonflame
11-12-2011, 12:09 PM
They will eventually detatch by themselves and float away