PDA

View Full Version : Bought two golden killies

Fisher_Zeb
11-09-2011, 11:57 PM
I bought two killies today one male and female and for a few hours i havent seen them at all! my tank does have lots of caves and hideing spots on the bed including all shapes and sizes of pvc pipes..may this be just shyness?

sheamurai
11-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Any fish needs time to acclimitise and get comfortable in a new tank. Also, killies aren't really an active fish the way tetras are. They are skulkers and lurkers, finding a few favourite spots to hang out. You won't see them zipping around your tank all day long.

Give them a few days to settle in, and you should start seeing them at feeding time...

DeadSulphurhead
03-11-2012, 05:02 PM
My experience with killis is they are pretty social. Mind you, there are 100s of different killifish, with varying temperaments.
I've only had 1 golden wonder killi (I'm guessing the same as you), and still have it. It get's a long great with everything, except, the weather loach. The loach is 10x this killis size, and stays at the bottom, but if the killi sees it, it darts down from the surface to attack it.
I've also had smaller species like the bluefin killi. Which thought it was a tetra, and actually ran the tetra school, beating up whoever confronted him. He was only about 3/4 the length, and 1/4 the body mass of the tetras lol

Both are active and use the entire tank, just more so the top 1/3. Like I said, there are a ton of different killis, but my golden never hid, even when as a new addition.

What's your water parameters?

sheamurai
03-11-2012, 05:05 PM
This thread is pretty old, the issue has prolly resolved itself by now.