PDA

View Full Version : Salvini cichlids

Sylvester
01-02-2005, 04:31 PM
My Salvini cichlids had fry a while ago, and the fry is now about 0,5 inch. When will the fry be abandoned by their parents? Do I need to move them to un other tank? If so, which kind of other cichlids can I keep them with? I don't want them to end up as food.

William
01-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I would definitely recommend moving the fry if you want as many as possible of them to survive. The parents most often guard their young 4-6 weeks and after that they start preparations for a new spawning.

I would recommend you not to keep your fry with other cichlids, unless we are talking about fry in the same size. When the fishes get larger you can keep them with most others cichlids that are small enough to not consider them to be food. However their are many cichlids that might not like to be kept with the salvinis even if the salvinis wouldn't have any trouble being kept with them.

/William

Sylvester
02-13-2005, 07:42 AM
The fry is bigger now, but still live in their own separate thank. But 5 fry are considerably bigger than the others, can this be a problem? Should I remove them? Can I remove them and "starve" them a little until the others catch up or would this harm them? I would be nice to be able to keep them together in the future.