PDA

View Full Version : zebra danios ?????

rsretep
08-09-2007, 10:32 PM
looking for some info on breeding danios....my group of seven in a 40 breeder are doing some things that are different from what i am used to seeing from them....alot of times in the morning before i go to work i see the entire bunch schooling around the bottom kinda entangling and following each other very closely....knowing that these fish do indeed school,there is something peculiar to me about this behavior...i guess i am used to seeing them more at the surface ....also while this bottom behavior is going on the other fish in the tank (geo balzani,horse face loach,and my cory )closely follow the whole procedure ....they almost seem to know something is going on (egg laying maybe) any and all help would be greatly appreciated

gm72
08-09-2007, 11:38 PM
With other tank mates it will be very difficult to allow the dannios to breed. They themselves will eat the eggs and so need to be removed immediately after laying them. You'd really need an empty tank with just the eggs to allow them to hatch properly. Please see this link, has some great suggestions for you:
http://www.qeok.com/fish/154-fish-3.html

Lady Hobbs
08-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Mine do the same thing. I've often wondered if eggs were being dropped in the bottom at this time.

hungryhound
08-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Based on your description, I would defiantly say your Danios are breeding. One thing that can induce spawning in them is when the lights go on in the morning. The males tend to bump against the females to get them to release their eggs, which they in turn fertilize.

A single female can lay several hundred eggs in a single mating session, however, as was pointed out Danio's are egg eaters and often cannibalize their own eggs. If you want some type of population control then I would leave them as is (I would guess a few might survive from each clutch). IF you're really looking to breed Danios then you will need have a way to separate the adults from the eggs.

An additional thing that I'll throw out is that it doesn't take much to get them to breed, but you will make the females a lot happier if you have a fairly equal sex ratio as well as size.

Good luck with your breeding.

rsretep
08-10-2007, 03:09 AM
hey all thank you for the info...good article and helpful info...looks like i gotta check out another tank to try to get some baby zebras.....thank you all again:19: :19: :19: