PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Mushrooms

sheamurai
11-06-2011, 01:25 AM
I've got blue shrooms making a bid for tank dominance. Honestly, they are everywhere now and very soon they will begin competing with other corals for space.

I've done some research for control/kill methods - but I just wanted to ask you guys what you found worked best for you for killing corals in places where you can't remove the rock.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-06-2011, 01:35 AM
The best way I've found for controlling mushrooms is to isolate the rock they are on. I know that's a little late for you now, but that's typically the easiest way to control them. Other than that, you pretty much have to manually remove them.

smaug
11-06-2011, 01:44 AM
I am so anxious to have those problems!

sheamurai
11-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Well, anymore, I'm going to suggest to folks not to get the common shrooms for their tanks. Heck, at least you can kill aiptasia. Its like breeding fish when you have no where to put the fry.

If I'd'a known how much they spread, I never would have gotten any!

smaug
11-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Cant they just be shaved off the rock with a blade? I know it seems wasteful to just chuck them but short of getting rid of all your shrooms its something that needs done for sure. When I was goin whole hog with my planted tank I was putting trimmed plants in the compost by the 5 gallon bucket!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Yup, that's exactly what you have to do with them. If you don't, you will be overrun with them.

sheamurai
11-06-2011, 09:44 PM
You can scrape them off, but its impossible to get it all off live rock - so it just regrows.

So far the best plan I have heard is to cut and treat the stumps with kalk paste. I'm hoping a cut and joes juice treatment will do the same...?

frefal13
11-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Why not try to sell the frags =) haha

sheamurai
11-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Mushrooms are as common as dirt, plus, even if I could sell all the frags I wanted to, the originals just keep on growing back. Eventually the demand is gone and you can't give them away.

Example - I posted this same issue in my local club forum - two people want a couple frags. I have over 40 to get rid off. Selling or giving 4 away is a drop in the bucket.

Dave66
11-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Just so you know, make SURE you use aquatic gloves removing the excess mushroom corals. They have a defensive toxin in them, which prevents the vast majority of creatures from eating mushroom corals, can be a serious problem for people deal with them.

Dave

labnjab
11-18-2011, 05:10 AM
I think mushrooms would survive nuclear winter, lol. I've had some under rocks in my sump, with no light, and their still alive, almost 2 years after placing them in the sump.

I'm gonna have to control some of ours in our display soon. They didn't grow at all for a year and a half, then all of the sudden the population boomed over the last 6 months, and now we have at least 40 or 50.