PDA

View Full Version : Picasso Triggerfish not getting enough veggies!!

Climber23
08-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Hello,

I'm working as an assisstant for a PhD student. We look at Picasso triggerfish Rhinecanthus aculeatus and sometimes need to keep them live and well in aquariums for long periods. We feed them on a mixture of squid, prawn and sardine but it doesn't seem to be enough! Does anyone know of a good veggie supplement we can add to their diet.

Joseph

Queensland, Australia.

Chrona
08-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Hello,

I'm working as an assisstant for a PhD student. We look at Picasso triggerfish Rhinecanthus aculeatus and sometimes need to keep them live and well in aquariums for long periods. We feed them on a mixture of squid, prawn and sardine but it doesn't seem to be enough! Does anyone know of a good veggie supplement we can add to their diet.

Joseph

Queensland, Australia.

I would recommend New Life Spectrum marine pellets as an alternative to feeding everything separately. They contain both meat and plant matter, so it's pretty darn comprehensive and I've had great luck with it in freshwater tanks.

Fishguy2727
08-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Thank you, I'm not the only one who knows how to recommend the best.

But if they don't have NLS down under you can try dried seaweed.

Climber23
08-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info people!

These pellets sound really easy and I'm guessing they can be used on any fish?? We sometimes keep a variety of fish; surgeon fish, puffers as well as juveniles, would these pellets suffice for all??

Joseph

Fishguy2727
08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Yes, NLS is pretty much the best food for any fish that will eat it.

Dave66
08-10-2007, 08:05 PM
If you've a refugium attached to your main tank as supplemental filtration, you can easily culture live macroalgae for the trigger in it with very little effort on your part.

Dave