PDA

View Full Version : Turquoise Rainbow in Community

mwomack
11-04-2011, 02:39 PM
I recently posted about my new Turquoise, I want some opinions on keeping these guys in my community. After the initial death of a bloodfin tetra, I have seen no other aggression, but I figured I would ask for some personal opinions before the return to store time is up. We added 5 turquoise to our community tank (2 males, 3 females. we also have a female dwarf neon rainbow) Tank mates are harlequin rasboras, longfin zebra danios, bloodfin tetras, glowlight tetras, a dwarf gourami, a honey gourami, otos, cories, and 2 adult and 2 juvie mollys.
We've had the dwarf neon rainbow for quite some time, it hangs out with our mollys and gourami (go figure) and loved it. after searching for dwarf neons we gave up and got turquoise.

The tank is a 56 gallon column running with 2 aquaclear 70s. Temp is kept 78f and the tank is well cycled with no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.

Lady Hobbs
11-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Easy to keep fish. I have only one pair now and they are fine with all others in the tank. I've keep them in pairs, in odd groups, etc.

The only rainbow I've had that hasn't worked for me was the neon bows. They all seem to die in my tank.

WaMiss
11-04-2011, 02:56 PM
My Rainbows are pretty energetic eaters. I don't know that I would call it aggressive, but close to it! When I feed they charge to the top of the water to grab what they can. They are always the first to the food! They are really FAST! I had put some guppies in for the BGK to see if he'd eat them (from a 10 gallon breeder tank)....the BGK never had a chance.....the Rainbows went nuts on them and gobbled them right up. My largest Rainbows are between 3-4 inches....careful with fish that are considerably smaller than them!

Lady Hobbs
11-04-2011, 03:13 PM
WaMiss.....didn't I read you got some of the Austrialian Splendia? I had about a dozen of them (I had babies) and got rid of those. They were really nuts and dominated my whole tank but my tank is also a 55, not a large one like yours. I'm now down to only my pair of turquoise and 3 boesemani. ( My son keeps ending up with my fish in his tank for some reason.) :)

WaMiss
11-04-2011, 03:41 PM
WaMiss.....didn't I read you got some of the Austrialian Splendia? I had about a dozen of them (I had babies) and got rid of those. They were really nuts and dominated my whole tank but my tank is also a 55, not a large one like yours. I'm now down to only my pair of turquoise and 3 boesemani. ( My son keeps ending up with my fish in his tank for some reason.) :)
I have 2 Boesemani, 4 Australians and 4 Praecox Rainbow or Dwarf Rainbows. THe Dwarfs were just added. They are really coloring up nicely and all school together which looks really neat!

Lady Hobbs
11-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I might try the neons again. I would love to have about 12 of them!

WhistlingBadger
02-01-2012, 02:02 PM
I have a school of 8 TRs in my 55. They are very active, but I've never seen anything resembling aggression. Nice little guys. I should say that none of their tank mates (tinfoil barbs, a redtail shark, plecos, otos, and golden algae eaters) are particularly prone to being on the receiving end of aggression, so I might be missing out. But other than the dominant male schmoozing on the females, they pretty much leave everybody alone and play nice.

sallywally
09-28-2012, 08:36 PM
I have one Turquoise Rainbow who has been aggressive in my 20 long tank, chasing other Rainbows (Maci male, Bosemani female, 3-now 2DNRs). I am thinking of moving him to my 30 gal in hopes he will behave. I've already moved the Bosemani because the Turquoise was scaring her like mad.

I'm thinking of rehoming him.

Also thinking of getting a 55 gal on one of those stands that can also take a 75 gal. down the road....