PDA

View Full Version : Plecos won't breed

Fishguy1
11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Hello friends,

New to this site and hope this question is not to repetitive in this forum, but I need some advice.

I picked up a mated pair of bristle-nose plecos about 5 months ago from a reliable breeder. He told me they were breeding twice a month. Since I got them, they have to breed and its a bit discouraging to be honest. I have tried to replicate his water and setup.

20 gallon tank, water is 80/20 RO/Tap, TDS 125, ph 6.6 to 7.0, temp steady at 78, kh 1, gh 5. I do every other day water change of 50%. I am feeding them zucchini and romaine lettuce not to mention flakes and beef heart mix.

This all the same things the breeder was doing. There are 3 caves in the bare-bottom tank.

The breeder is just shocked that they are not doing anything at this point as he told me when he buys pairs, they breed in a week normally if conditions are right.

Needless to say I feel like I am failing at something that should be so simple. Any advice friends?

Thanks,

Fishguy1

Fishguy1
11-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I can put them in my community 90 gal discus/planted tank for a bit or should I find more females to introduce to the tank?

toddnbecka
11-01-2011, 04:31 PM
What species of BN are they? Try some different caves, increase water circulation, add some fast-growing live plants like Najas or even duckweed and cut back on the water changes.
Beef heart isn't particularly suitable for any fish, a staple diet of NLS pellets supplemented with veggies twice weekly would be better than flakes and beef heart.
I also think the guy you got them from is exaggerating, or not communicating clearly; no fish breeds every two weeks. He may have multiple females that produce that often, but any given female needs more time than that to fatten up and produce eggs.

Fishguy1
11-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. I can move them to my 30 gal shrimp tank possibly. It has good waterflow and lots of plants. Same temp too and water conditions. I could also find a few more females. They are brown BNP.

toddnbecka
11-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Common BN don't require such soft water. My tap water is 7.4-7.6, very hard, and I use coral to buffer all my tanks to maintain stable conditions for moving fish around when necessary. They breed when they're ready, though sometimes they do take a break after spawning a number of times.

dmagerl
11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Mine seem to lay eggs every 5 weeks like clockwork.

Edit:
I also should add that the male was extremely picky about the cave he used. If the opening to the cave was too big, he didnt use it. It wasnt until I added an upside down flower pot with a hole cut in the side just big enough for him to fit that things really took off.

Red
11-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I breed my bns in around 7.7 water. IMO you are trying to hard to breed them, introduce more caves, add a lot more plants and hopefully let it happen.

dbosman
11-02-2011, 08:52 PM
You're trying too hard and cleaning too well.
BN need lots of filtration to keep the water clean and lots of Oxygen in the water. If you have a good healthy mature filter, slow down on the water changes. Top off with your tap water for a few weeks then do a 50% water change. If there is a storm headed your way, do a water change that day.

free3tbz
11-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Hello friends,

New to this site and hope this question is not to repetitive in this forum, but I need some advice.

I picked up a mated pair of bristle-nose plecos about 5 months ago from a reliable breeder. He told me they were breeding twice a month. Since I got them, they have to breed and its a bit discouraging to be honest. I have tried to replicate his water and setup.

20 gallon tank, water is 80/20 RO/Tap, TDS 125, ph 6.6 to 7.0, temp steady at 78, kh 1, gh 5. I do every other day water change of 50%. I am feeding them zucchini and romaine lettuce not to mention flakes and beef heart mix.

This all the same things the breeder was doing. There are 3 caves in the bare-bottom tank.

The breeder is just shocked that they are not doing anything at this point as he told me when he buys pairs, they breed in a week normally if conditions are right.

Needless to say I feel like I am failing at something that should be so simple. Any advice friends?

Thanks,

Fishguy1

you need to not only have a cave, but some how the flow of water needs to go directly into the cave. that way the male can spawn and it will drift into the cave with the current.:fish: