PDA

View Full Version : Box Jellyfish (Chironex Fleckeri) venom?

JosefineBahnsen
11-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Hello!

I'm writing on a project about the box jellyfish; Chironex Fleckeri. About its venom and how this venom is affecting the human body biological and chemical. But I have a problem. My porblem is that I don't know the chemical name for Chironex Fleckeri's venom. I have found alot of other informations, but not the name, which is really relevant compared to the project, so please any one give me an answer about what the chemical name is??

Goes to 11!
11-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Sorry, I don't see an actual name for the venom but it looks like absolutely nasty stuff.

You have probably already seen this but..Here (https://www.google.com/search?q=chironex+fleckeri+venom+composition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox) and here (https://www.google.com/search?q=chironex+fleckeri+venom+name&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox)are possible places to continue searching.

dbosman
11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Part of the problem with your question is that venom's aren't chemicals. They're compounds. neurotoxins compounds in this case.

If you have a research library near by, here are two citations for you.
You could do an Inter Library Loan request for copies of the articles, through your local library. Note the dates. Not all that much has changed unfortunately.

Othman I, Burnett JW. Techniques applicable for the purifying of Chironex fleckeri (box-jellyfish) venom. Toxicon 1990; 28: 821-835.

Freeman SE. Actions of Chironex fleckeri toxins on cardiac transmembrane potentials. Toxicon 1974; 12: 395-404.

There is a more recent article, from 2007.
Here is a quote from it. I'm not writing your paper for you. ;-)

"only two of a number of toxins in C. fleckeri venom have been successfully isolated and sequenced (Brinkman & Burnell, 2007)."

And, while I do happen to work in a research library, I found the Brinkman & Burnell reference in a thirty second Google search.