PDA

View Full Version : Edit my own posts?

Fizgig
10-31-2011, 07:04 PM
:help:

How come I cannot edit my own posts anymore? Not a newbies to forums, but I feel like I'm missing something here. Any ideas?

Thanks! And I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section, but I couldn't find a "help me with the forum" section anywhere.

:help:

Brhino
10-31-2011, 07:07 PM
you have a brief window after making a post (10-15 minutes I think) in which you can edit it. After that, anything you have said is permanent unless a mod sees reason to edit it. It's set up that way deliberately to prevent people from changing their words during arguments and whatnot.

genocidex
10-31-2011, 07:09 PM
the edit window is 15 mins

Fizgig
10-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Oh.... That kinda sucks... What if you want to correct a typo or spelling error? Seems like silly reasons to have to enlist the time of a mod... Or fix broken links or something?

Oh well... Guess the typo will stay.

Thanks for the response!

Goes to 11!
10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Oh.... That kinda sucks... What if you want to correct a typo or spelling error? Seems like silly reasons to have to enlist the time of a mod... Or fix broken links or something?

Oh well... Guess the typo will stay.

Thanks for the response!
It is a silly reason to enlist a mod so instead we have learned to be tolerant of non-habitual typos lol. :11:

However, The complete anti-grammarians will NEVER be forgiven IMO. But I will not rant about that.:hmm3grin2orange:

Fizgig
11-01-2011, 04:28 AM
.... "non-habitual typos" lol. :11:

Ya dunno just how habitual my typos and spelling errors can be, though :hmm3grin2orange: Especially since I speak, read, write 4 languages and English isn't my first on the list. LOL

But, yes, good to know that it wasn't just me missing something! Appreciate your responses!

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2011, 08:07 AM
As a Mod, I totally agree with you. I transpose words and constantly am editing my own posts. I would not like to not be able to edit whenever I wanted.

Goes to 11!
11-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Ya dunno just how habitual my typos and spelling errors can be, though :hmm3grin2orange: Especially since I speak, read, write 4 languages and English isn't my first on the list. LOL

But, yes, good to know that it wasn't just me missing something! Appreciate your responses!

I for one am jealous of your linguistic skills & I doubt you will be rate anywhere near the worst offenders lol. It can be tragic I assure you. :ssuprised: :hmm3grin2orange:

gadget228
11-01-2011, 09:58 AM
If it wasn't for the built in spell checker I would be in deep doo doo... :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Spell checker does not help with transposing, only mis-mispelled.

Fizgig
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Spell checker does not help with transposing, only mis-mispelled.

Spell checkers don't help much when your fingers and brain don't synch. up with words like "were" vs "where", "our" vs "are", "it's" vs "its", "their" vs "there", and of course words one just doesn't know how to spell in the first place ;) .... Then there are the scientific names of plants which often get spelled wrong (which I was attempting to correct & led to the start of this thread).

It's sad that someone along the way, at some point, edited a post embroiled in an argument and lead to people no longer being able to be responsible for their own posts; having to turn, like 2yr. olds, to mommy to wipe their noses. Such is life, though, right? The responsible, conscientious, folks end up suffering for the actions of the idiotic.... Probably why my car windows don't open all the way, too.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Goes to 11!
11-01-2011, 07:55 PM
The responsible, conscientious, folks end up suffering for the actions of the idiotic....

Exactly lol, Rules aren't made to police the people who can figure out a course of action in a given situation or a solution to a conflict.
They are to prevent the idiots from following through on their worst impulses & everyone else has to live their lives within the level of control that is required to keep the idiots civilized.

AmyLynn
11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Spell checkers don't help much when your fingers and brain don't synch. up with words like "were" vs "where", "our" vs "are", "it's" vs "its", "their" vs "there", and of course words one just doesn't know how to spell in the first place ;) .... Then there are the scientific names of plants which often get spelled wrong (which I was attempting to correct & led to the start of this thread).

It's sad that someone along the way, at some point, edited a post embroiled in an argument and lead to people no longer being able to be responsible for their own posts; having to turn, like 2yr. olds, to mommy to wipe their noses. Such is life, though, right? The responsible, conscientious, folks end up suffering for the actions of the idiotic.... Probably why my car windows don't open all the way, too.

:hmm3grin2orange:

I have to say that, judging from this post, you have a very good grasp of the english language and all of the nuances and idiosyncracies within it. thumbs2:

Goes to 11!
11-01-2011, 09:02 PM
I have to say that, judging from this post, you have a very good grasp of the english language and all of the nuances and idiosyncracies within it. thumbs2::cough:Indeed, Better than many:cough:

AmyLynn
11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Now now... We need to be patient and talk slooooooowly for those who suffer from a lack of any obvious english instruction. :hmm3grin2orange:

Goes to 11!
11-01-2011, 09:57 PM
LOL

The ones I refer to are not suffering [Trying to read them is a good definition of suffering though & I am most emphatically NOT a grammar nazi - Obviously judging by my posts lol]

Incidental typos, A semi-colon instead of a colon, Their vs. there etc... None of this interferes with the point they are making. So to all that I say: Whom cares :hmm3grin2orange:.

But IE: Habitual massive blocks of punctuation free text with no separation between the ideas they are trying to get across become an indecipherable mess that I am unwilling to attempt to decipher in order to try to help someone, And I have said exactly that here before.

I would think that people would attempt to make their inquires as clear as possible but sadly, I am often wrong about that.

Fizgig, I apologize for hijacking your thread with my complaining & I suspect you will have few issues wrt language around here. No worries thumbs2:

AmyLynn
11-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Ahhhhhhh yes. The unending runon sentence from the youngsters who, partly because of texting I believe, have never leared how to properly punctuate a sentence. LOL

Fizgig
11-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Ahhhhhhh yes. The unending runon sentence from the youngsters who, partly because of texting I believe, have never leared how to properly punctuate a sentence. LOL

As one judge said a few years ago after reading some text messages given as evidence during a trial... "We're raising a generation of illiterate idiots with all this texting nonsense."

I tend to agree based on some of the writing I've seen in forums and in general attempts at writing. And no, I'm not some 50+ yr. old nut... hehe... ;)

We might, as a society, consider working harder at keeping the idiots from breeding than from trying to civilize them ;) There, I said it :14: Would likely solved many of the crazy issues plaguing the human race... Issues that no system is equipped to handle....

AmyLynn
11-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I think we should issue breeding certificates. :hmm3grin2orange:

Fizgig
11-01-2011, 11:36 PM
I think we should issue breeding certificates. :hmm3grin2orange:

:lettersrofl:

Makes sense.... Have to take a test to drive a car but not to raise a brat (I mean, child). Check your credit history to buy a car, but no one cares about your ability to support a brat before you go out and make one.

Where did it all go wrong?

:lettersrofl: