PDA

View Full Version : Filter Knob

salman
08-09-2007, 09:05 AM
I am going to have a little trouble explaining this.. so bare with me.. Do you know the part that the hose and the filter connect, there is a small knob there to stop the water from flowing and to keep it running. Can you adjust it like have it in between nothing and full so you can have less water currency in the tank later on? Or will it do something to the filter?

Go Guppy
08-09-2007, 11:52 AM
G'day Salman

Do you mean the valves in the hoses? These are normally quarter turn isolating valves and not ideal for flow control.:ssad:

With regard to impacting on your filter, there is a real danger of cavitating the filter pump if you throttle in on the filter inlet valve, that is the suction line from the tank to the filter. Cavitation can damage the pump impeller and you can tell if the pump is cavitating as it makes a noise, the same noise as when you have air in the filter, say after cleaning the filter.

At a pinch, you could throttle the filter outlet valve slightly, this will not damage the filter (unless you throttle too much for too long), but it is an inefficient way of reducing the water flow.

I would strongly recommend you get a smaller filter and use this. Keep the existing filter as a spare, or for your next (larger) tank! :c3:

Good luck

Hooroo.

salman
08-09-2007, 12:46 PM
There isn't much flow in the water, but it was just a question. It's always in my mind, wether or not it can slow down the water. Thanks for you reply.. I was going to mess around with it, but thank god you replied :D

gm72
08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes, Go Puppy has it right. Not a good idea to alter the flow of the pump for prolonged periods of time. Of course, if you were looking for lower water flow you could always get a diffuser for the output. Assuming that we are talking about a canister filter here, right?