PDA

View Full Version : Snowball Shrimp

haddaj04
10-30-2011, 12:12 AM
I recently acquired 50 Snowball Shrimp from a seller on ebay and was wondering about these particular types of shrimp. I don't really see a lot of information about them. I know they are in the same family as RCS and have just about the same care requirements but that's where my knowledge of them stop.

Are they as prolific as RCS?
Are they more valuable?
Why aren't they as common as RCS?
What happens if you cross them with RCS?

Any other general information about them would be awesome. I've kept RCS in the past but had to tear down my tank since I was deployed to Iraq. I have had a moderately planted 10 gallon cycling for a while now that I was going to keep Endler fry in but decided to get back into shrimp and wanted to try something new.

Goes to 11!
10-30-2011, 12:22 AM
The snowball [Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis] are closely related to the RCS [Neocaridina heteropoda].

My understanding is that they will interbreed but the offspring will look more like the wild version - brownish. So mixing them in a tank is not a great idea.

Value is relative and I suspect how common they are has more to do with availability [or lack of] than anything else.

More general [or specific lol] info is just a google away.

haddaj04
10-30-2011, 12:43 AM
I did do a google search on them and am still not coming up with anything real specific to this type of shrimp, I've found some species profiles but it's basically information copy and pasted from RCS care sheets.

I just don't see a lot of people that talk about them on the few forums I visit and was wondering if there's something I should know about them?

Strider199
10-30-2011, 01:19 AM
As 850R said, snowball shrimp basically are red cherry shrimp. They were selectively breed that way and if you mix them in with yellow or red cherry's the off spring will most likely come out more brown.
Here is a write up on them I have from a shrimp supplier.

C & P.
__________________________________________________ _______________

PH Range: 6.5 - 8.0
Temperature Range: 72 - 84 F
Hardness Range:1 - 5 dkh
Life Span: 1 - 2 years
Gestation Period: 30 days Ideal pH: 6.2
Ideal Temperature: 76 F
Ideal Hardness: 3 dkh
Size: 0.75" - 1.2"
Diet: Omnivore

Snowball Shrimp History
The Snowball Shrimp is the selectively bred white variant of the Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis. Originally selectively bred in Gernamy for its white coloration, the Snowball Shrimp is just as hardy an breeds almost as quickly as the Cherry Shrimp. The name "Snowball" came specifically from its pure white eggs, which look like snowballs!

Snowball Shrimp Care
The snowball shrimp can be cared for in quite a large variety of different water parameters. The pH range is from 6.5 to 8.0, but people are known to even exceed these parameters and these shrimp still do well, also in both soft and hard water. Clean water is very important for these creatures, the temperature should also be a minimum of 72 degrees F.

Snowball Shrimp Diet
Snowball Shrimp are omnivores and share the same diet that most Dwarf Shrimp enjoy. Almost any kind of shrimp/fish food! Most Shrimp are algae eaters but will often times need supplemental feedings. Feeding for the snowball shrimp is recommended for a max of 1 time per day, and only an amount that these shrimp can finish within 2 hours. Overfeeding causes water quality issues, and ultimately death for these shrimp. It is OK to skip a few days of feeding these creatures. Gives them a chance to keep your tank nice and clean!

Snowball Shrimp Breeding
The Snowball Shrimp can breed quickly! It takes about 30 - 45 days from pregnancy to hattching. You can see whether the female is close to hatching by the appearance of a set of eyes on the effs, which are easy to see. Once you see this, hatching is about to happen within a few days!

Snowball Shrimp Behavior
Snowball Shrimp are non-aggressive, and are quite active. In an aquarium that has no predators, Snowball Shrimp will often be observed grazing on algae on aquarium plants, decorations and on the substrate. When fed, the shrimp will often form large groups that are quite striking in appearance.

Special Notes
The Snowball shrimp are some of the most beautiful shrimp species! As with all aquatic invertebrates it is important to make sure copper does not get into the aquarium. Copper is toxic to all Dwarf Shrimp. Many medications contain elevated levels of copper, so it is recommended not to medicate an aquarium with Dwarf Shrimp in it
__________________________________________________ _______________

It does sound alot like what you need for Red Cherry Shrimp.

haddaj04
10-30-2011, 02:35 AM
@strider thanks for the information!

Any particular reason why they aren't as common or popular as RCS?

Goes to 11!
10-30-2011, 02:52 AM
@strider thanks for the information!

Any particular reason why they aren't as common or popular as RCS?

As I said before: I suspect how common they are [or are not] has more to do with availability [or lack of] than anything else.

I've found some species profiles but it's basically information copy and pasted from RCS care sheets.This is because they are biologically the same thing, Just a different color. It's like asking if there is a difference in the care of green vs blue parakeets.

And the answer is ---> No, There's no difference.