PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting BN to eat

hefeweisse
10-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I have a new Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus spp.) as of about six days ago. I had an algae problem where the back side of my 30 gallon tank was covered. Day after he was introduced it was goodbye algae. Now my concern is that he isn't getting enough to eat. After lights are out he comes out as expected to graze, mainly on my driftwood, then walls and rocks, which are algae free. My BN is a full grown (4 inches) male. I've tried algae disks but my firemouth in the tank gobbles them up and guards them in his corner. I've never seen the BN even approach the disk. I've also tried spinach, blanched zucchini and peas. I've looked on at the activity in the tank for 3 hours past lights out and adding the food, but have never seen him approach the veggies. Any suggestions? Also, this morning I removed a piece of zucchini and noticed some markings on one side of the slice. I think they may be depressions from where he was rasping on it. Could someone who has a pleco tell me if that's what they are? It would put my mind at ease, lol.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fxvkN28L66Q/TqqngV12W9I/AAAAAAAAAV0/zPPzP_rV6zg/s800/zucch%2525201.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o6d6_Wvqm0E/TqqnlPftgMI/AAAAAAAAAV8/NAz985985J8/s640/zucch%2525202.jpg

Cliff
10-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Looks like he's munching on the veggies to me

As long as you are feeding after lights out (so the others in the tank won't steal it) , he should find the food and eat.

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Me too. He's fine. Drop pellets in before lights out or the veggies and he'll take care of it. If he isn't eating much, he doesn't need it. He is still finding algae in the tank.

Trillianne
10-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Most plecos enjoy driftwood to rasp on as well. Do you have any of that in your tank?

hefeweisse
10-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes I do, I have a very large piece of driftwood in there that he loves. During the day he attaches himself to the bottom of it inside a crevice. He also spends a large portion of the night rasping away at it. He hasn't taken up residence in any of the caves yet

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I only drop food in for mine maybe twice a week. I don't want them to get lazy and stop eating algae.

hefeweisse
11-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone for helping me ease my mind which can be slightly impatient/fast paced, lol. I now have a new issue with the tanks real owner, my firemouth. When the pleco comes out to graze (approx 5-10 minutes before the lights go out) the firemouth gets a little territorial. By this I mean the flaring gills and stationary swimming motion that they are known to do. This pretty much ends between about 30 min to an hour after lights out from what I can see. But every couple days my firemouth is getting injured. I don't think it's from the pleco, but rather getting too excited and running into my rocks and driftwood. Here's a photo of his newest injury, I came home and a scale was hanging from above his head.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LqRSEPOUSIU/TrHYD9MBU-I/AAAAAAAAAWQ/czGRq64j6m0/s800/IMG_20111102_194800.jpg

Is this likely self injury or from the stand offs? I must note that I always see the pleco swimming away from the FM, and have never seen them actually engage in a skirmish, although the FM does occasionally rush the pleco usually from the rear or side. Does anyone have recommendations about treatments, or should I even try to treat it?