PDA

View Full Version : Would these tankmates be peaceful together

michelle76
10-26-2011, 03:35 AM
We have a aqua one aquagrande 285L tank. The pH being around 7.5

I am wanting to add some rainbowfish to the tank with the following current tankmates.....

Boesemani Rainbowfish or Dwarf Rainbow or both
Bala sharks
Gouramis - blue and pearl
Clown Loaches
Chinese Algae Eaters hopefully to be replaced with a bristlenosed plec in the near future

How do you think this combination would look....

I am wanting a peaceful community tank with colour - I am not interested in breeding. I don't want to overcrowd the tank so suggestions on numbers of each fish would be helpful or suggestion on alternative combinations.

Thanks in advance

Lady Hobbs
10-26-2011, 04:23 AM
Your tank is too small for bala sharks. They grow to one foot and want to be with several of their own. They are fast, very active swimmers and also jumpers but if not given enough space will slam into the glass, decorations and whatever else is in the tank. Same with clown loaches. Tank is too small for a group of them.

Chinese Algae eaters don't get along well. Generally are known to only eat algae when young but become aggressive and chase others later on in life. Siamese Algae Eaters would be a better pick, IMO. Unless you have a planted tank, I see no reason for algae eaters, tho.

Others will be OK together but a tank of all rainbows is also nice.

WaMiss
10-26-2011, 04:26 AM
You don't mention how many fish of which kind you have. I keep 4 Clowns in my 135 gallon tank. They grow BIG. I know Balas do too. I'm sure someone will chime in to answer your questions, but in my opinion you are already overstocked!

WaMiss
10-26-2011, 04:27 AM
Your tank is too small for bala sharks. They grow to one foot and want to be with several of their own. They are fast, very active swimmers and also jumpers but if not given enough space will slam into the glass, decorations and whatever else is in the tank. Same with clown loaches. Tank is too small for a group of them.

Chinese Algae eaters don't get along well. Generally are known to only eat algae when young but become aggressive and chase others later on in life. Siamese Algae Eaters would be a better pick, IMO. Unless you have a planted tank, I see no reason for algae eaters, tho.

Others will be OK together but a tank of all rainbows is also nice.

You beat me Hobbs!! :hmm3grin2orange:

michelle76
10-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I plan to in the near future get rid of the bala sharks and also the chinese algae eaters. I have only recently found out about the algae eaters being aggressive and I think they have recently killed a gourami and a clown loach. The reason I say in the near future is because hubby doesn't want to get rid of them if there is nothing wrong with them. I have advised him the sharks do grow very fast but he still isn't keen.

At present we currently have:

2x bala sharks
1x clown loach as the other one recently died
2x gourami
3x algae eaters

We do have some fake plants but would like to put more plants in (not sure if we should go real or fake at this stage)

I am also thinking when we do get rid of the sharks, we can replace them with more rainbows. I just would like to know whether the rainbows will be okay with these other fish.

Lady Hobbs
10-26-2011, 04:55 AM
If you allow them to get too large, they will be very hard to catch and harder to find them a home. Bala's are nice fish. It's just too bad they get so darned large. They really aren't a shark, BTW, but come from the minnow family I believe.

Show your hubby this.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1064500198033164709VSnZqp

michelle76
10-26-2011, 05:06 AM
thanks for the link.....wow that is one large shark. I will show him. I just wish I knew this when we bought the fish.