PDA

View Full Version : Round two.

Strider199
10-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Well after my last disaster with my 10 gallon RCS tank, I am at it again.

I have cleaned the tank with bleach, bought new substrate, soaked the plants and java moss in Alum for 4 days, bought a new AC30 filter, bleached the heater and air stone, and boiled the driftwood for an afternoon which was soaked in water for two days.

I think I killed the parasites and flat worms!

The tank has been running (without shrimp) since Sunday. I haven't even tested the water yet to see if the ammonia (bleach) is still present.
The plants have been introduced and the java moss has been tied to the drift wood and slate.
I have a mesh bag with biomedia in my hob filter running in my 55 gallon community tank so I can seed the 10 gallon when I think it's ready.

This second time around I will not over feed, I will clean the substrate more throughly with my vacuum, and I wont try any u-tube flat worm traps.
I will also quarantine any new shrimp I buy and watch for parasites.

Wish me luck.

Thanks.

frefal13
10-26-2011, 02:45 AM
Good luck this time around! And I don't know if that is a typo but doesn't bleach have chlorine in it not ammonia?

Zvander
10-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Strider -

If you clean your tank/equipment with bleach, remember to use something like 'Genesis' chlorine remover before you cycle your tank (w/ammonia). Bleach + Ammonia= Toxic Gas (just a precaution).

Cliff
10-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Sounds good Strider

Can't wait to see pics

Strider199
10-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Good luck this time around! And I don't know if that is a typo but doesn't bleach have chlorine in it not ammonia?

I could say it was a typo, but I was having a few brown pops and typing way too much.:hmm3grin2orange:

Time to check the tank.

Strider199
11-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Its been three weeks or so since I tore down the shrimp tank and tonight I finally stocked it up again with about 35-40 cherry red shrimp. thumbs2:

The colony is eating everything in sight. Soon as they hit the gravel those little scavengers started picking through the substrate and java moss.

These little gems are locally bred by an individual I heard of from Abbey's Mom who lives 20 minutes away from me.

Talk about a basement full of treasures. There are tanks upon tanks of shrimp, crayfish, fish of all species, including some very awesome White cloud mountain minnow that have this fantastic red colouring and long fins.

I think I spent 40 minutes with the gentleman looking through all his tanks. It reminded me of those private owned aquarium stores which I grew up with.

Ok enough of this feel good stuff. :ssuprised:

I'm back.thumbs2:

ekfishlover2011
11-15-2011, 02:59 AM
Yay! Im glad you found good shrimps for round two! And that sounds like such an awesome selection of fish that guy has. Hope this time everything stays good!

Strider199
11-15-2011, 03:00 AM
Thanks ekfishlover2011, me too.

I learned a bit from round one which I wont repeat.(blush)

ekfishlover2011
11-15-2011, 03:05 AM
Well this place sounds nice, so as long as you stick with there and remember to thoroughly investigate new additions, we wont have that parasite or whatever it was from last time. :) Hopefully my tank starts getting somewhere soon... All juvies, so stuck at 32.