PDA

View Full Version : rubber plecos

zxtuner
10-25-2011, 07:32 PM
What is the difference between and rubber lip and rubber nose pleco?

From what I have read on my own a rubber is a rubber nose is a rubber lip is a bulldog pleco. But from what I have told by several LFS employees (I know, I know) they are all different types of plecos.

Can someone help clear this up for me please?

Brhino
10-25-2011, 07:39 PM
All those common names are referring to the same thing, usually Chaetostoma Milesi. However, there are several different known species within the genus that look quite similar, so in reality you have a half dozen common names referring to any of at least a dozen different species.

It's the same deal with a bristlenose pleco. Doesn't matter if you say "bristlenose", "bushynose", or "brushmouth", it's all reverring to the same thing... but there are dozens of different species of bristlenose pleco.

I hope that's cleared things up, although it may have just confused the matter.

planetcatfish.com is pretty much the ultimate resource for catfish of all types. You can find pictures of the various species of rubbernose plecos, and you can upload pictures of your own for exact species confirmation if you like.

Trillianne
10-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Seconding Brhino and adding another source would be plecoplanet.com

zxtuner
10-25-2011, 08:41 PM
I think I will join that forum tonight and upload pics there and here. I like the little guy just hoping he won't get too big because if that is the case he gets to return to the LFS. Thanks for all of your help guys

Strider199
10-26-2011, 12:03 AM
A rubber lipped bulldog pleco should only get to be around 4-5 inches. At least thats what mine is suppose get. hehehe.

Looking at the pictures really helped pin point which pleco I have.

zxtuner
10-27-2011, 02:37 PM
All of the pictures have seen they all have spots mine has none. Also he is grey with darker patches alternating down his back. If I can get a clear shot of him I will but currently he enjoys his cave and or up against the heater.

That is also a question I have what is the temp for a rubber lipped pleco. I ask because he seems to be staying by the heater alot and I wasn't sure if that meant he would enjoy warmer temps or not.

Trillianne
10-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Does he look kind of like mine?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/997/vulcan.jpg

Mine gets darker sometimes and lighter sometimes depending on how moody he wants to be or if he's trying to blend in with something.

He's probably hanging by the heater more because it feels safer there... something over his head. I've had mine park near a heater or the filter intake, but as more hidey spots have been added to the tank (I have some gnarly wood and several rock caves) they tend to prefer those.

zxtuner
10-27-2011, 04:52 PM
he looks like this.

Thanks to planet catfish

Trillianne
10-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Very similar to mine. Sometimes he goes darker and the spots really show up... and sometimes he will lighten a bit and they blend more. :ssmile:

zxtuner
10-27-2011, 05:34 PM
I love mine he's got more personality then I thought a fish could have outside a puffer or betta.