PDA

View Full Version : Amano Shrimp Wipe Out - Help!

Nerva
10-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Hello,

My daughter has just had a wipe out of all her 12 Amano shrimp. Hereís the chronology. She had them in a 60L tank along with a Betta and some other small fish. She has been cycling a new 120L tank for the last month and recently planted it with various plants. She has been using a CO2 additive to help with the plants. On Sunday last she put the shrimp along with the betta and some other fish into the new 120L tank. Within minutes the shrimp were climbing the vegetation and literally tried to climb out of the tank. As she was away I didnít know if this was normal so I left them. The following morning I found them all dead and one had actually managed to jump out of the tank. Would anybody know what the problem is?

Thank you.

Brhino
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
inverts trying to escape is usually a sign of poor water quality. Have you tested the water parameters? What CO2 additive are you using? How are the fish doing?

Nerva
10-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi Brhino,

pH was neutral, nitrates and nitrites good, ammonia good. I'm not sure what brand of treatment she used but I'll check tonight and post back. The fish are doing fine but go to the surface regularily, I'm wondering is the O2 consentration a bit low after the CO2 treatment.

Brhino
10-25-2011, 04:37 PM
sounds like a possibility. Are you running an airstone? What are you using for filtration?

Nerva
10-25-2011, 04:40 PM
No airstine and a large capacity external filter.

Brhino
10-25-2011, 04:49 PM
balancing oxygenation and CO2 levels in a planted tank is something that is a bit beyond my knowledge, but that seems like something to look into further as the possible culprit.

Dave66
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
It was a water chemistry change between the tank the shrimp were in and the tank they were transfered to. Invertebrates like the shrimp are extremely sensitive to changes in pH, hardness, temperature and dissolved Oxygen.

The reason the shrimp died is they weren't properly acclimated to the new tank.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2011, 05:28 PM
I hope she wasn't cycling the tank with ammonia. If she was cycling, she had to be cycling it some way.

Could be since no fish were in the tank, she was throwing the CO2 to the plants, as well. If the fish are hanging at the top trying to get oxygen, that's a sign it's lacking in oxygen most likely due to the concentration of the CO2 or the toxins in the water.

Do you know if dechlorinator had been added to the water?

Nerva
10-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi Dave,

I think I might have found the reason. The pH in the tank they came from was 7.5 and 6.0 in the tank they died in. everything else was the same i.e. Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm. The temperature in the old tank was 2 Deg. c higher as well. How do you recommend acclimatising shrimp to the tank if I want to try introducing some more?

Lady Hobbs,

She was cycling the tank with ammonia but both Ammonia and Nitrite were 0 ppm before introducing the fish and shrimp. She was using two products called "easycarbo" and "ProFito" from a company called easy-life.

Thank you so much for your help,

Martin.

Strider199
10-26-2011, 12:10 AM
When I was moving my shrimp from one tank to another one (I knew there would be a pH difference), I put the shrimp with their own water in a plastic Tupperware container. I floated that container in the new tank and added a little of the new tank water every 5 minutes. After about 30 minutes I tipped the shrimp out into their new tank.

An air stone would be an asset with shrimp and/or fish.