PDA

View Full Version : What is the most accurate brand of aquarium heater?

Fish buddy
10-25-2011, 02:20 AM
I would like to know what the most accurate brand of aquarium heater was?Also i heard that marineland put a stop sale on there stealth pro heaters.Why is that?Thanks.

korith
10-25-2011, 02:30 AM
I would like to know what the most accurate brand of aquarium heater was?Also i heard that marineland put a stop sale on there stealth pro heaters.Why is that?Thanks.

The best/accurate heater is kind of like asking someone what the best soda drink is. Everyone has their own opinion of what is working best. I hear the jager brand is one of the better ones. Think it is safe to say any heater can fail.

The stealth heaters had lots of issues, there were a few reports of them actually exploding in tanks, if you do a google search can see some posts in other forums of some broken tanks cause of them. Most of the cases with the stealth heaters had to do with leaking voltage into the tank or not turning off when they should, resulting in tanks getting overheated and cooking the fish. At first only a few models of the stealth heaters were being recalled, then eventually they recalled all the models.

Here is the recall notice http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html

There is a phone number you can call to get the cash back or get a replacement heater in exchange for any old stealth heaters you may have.

genocidex
10-25-2011, 03:44 AM
+1 above. but i havent had much problems with no name brand ebay heaters. the ones i got was a 300w for like 12 bucks. keeps a good temp and reliably but it doesnt look too great. the dial isnt too accurate but for 12 bucks what can you expect XD

MCHRKiller
10-25-2011, 03:47 AM
I use Hydor Inlines and EboJagers....never any issues with either.

Surfdog
10-25-2011, 04:29 AM
I use Hydor Inlines and EboJagers....never any issues with either.

same here, never a problem with either...I love the Hydor...

Dave66
10-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Most brands of heaters don't list their accuracy. Jaegar does, it's a half-degree from temperature set point. Majority of others are within a degree or two of set point, or worse.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Aqueons must be on the worst list then. I've have two and both had to be set at 84 to give me a tank of 76-78. (150 watt on 29 gallons.)

gadget228
10-25-2011, 09:58 AM
My vote goes for the Jagers, I have five of them and my only complaint with them is the earlier models weren't fully submersible and could be a pain to get the temp set right. The newer models set the temp once and your done.

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2011, 10:07 AM
I was reading last night about a 75 gallon that shattered due to one of the Stealth pro's overheating. How ticked off would I be!!

Crispy
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
If you really want to be accurate, you could run multiple heaters on a heating controller. usually only necessary on large setups tho.

Fizgig
11-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Also i heard that marineland put a stop sale on there stealth pro heaters.Why is that?Thanks.

My friend and I both had them heaters.... His cooked -- and I do mean cooked -- his marine tank's inhabitants. Killed everything (lost $2000 worth of fish, corals, etc)! And oh the stench! Mine nearly cooked me -- the auto shut off didn't work and I didn't know it when I grab hold of the heater to move it. Had another one that almost cooked the Betta -- it was set to 70 and I caught with the temp. in the tank at 88. The Betta probably wouldn't have lived much longer had I not seen the temp. Them things were always notoriously inaccurate and difficult to set.

Be careful with Hydors, too.... Had one literally explode underwater and I had my arm in the water past my elbow. That was scary! Luckily, all my fish equipment is plugged into surge protectors and the surge tripped the protector to shut off power. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure my fish would've been dead and I might not have felt so great either (350 watt heater). Took quite a while to clean up the glass in the tank, too. They're also very inaccurate -- to get 72-74 degrees, I had to set one to 65 degrees and another to 80 degrees (in diff't tanks, obviously).

The ones I've never had problems with are the Jagers and Marineland Visi-Therms. I have one of the latter which is almost 10yrs. old and still maintains temp. within 1 degree of setting. The Jager I have is about 3yrs. old and accurate to 1 degree on either side as well.

Lady Hobbs
11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Really good for fish to cook them in temps of 88 degrees!

I'd have to wonder how many people lost fish due to those Stealths. You read of so many people that lost prized fish and even my post above this where a tank exploded. You think of hundreds you have never heard about.

I wrote to Marineland the first time I had a problem with my heater and they swore to me they had no problems with their heaters and no complaints. That was 3 months before they did the total recall. Now you just know they were having problems long before they had the recall. I really have a problem when someone lies. That just does it for me.

Wild Turkey
11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Marineland Stealth "Pro" are the ones that have the risk of exploding, avoid those. The earlier models I usually heard good reviews about. I still use a few of these older models, and have never had a problem but if you have a stealth pro you can send in to marineland for a replacement. Some petsmarts will take them and give you a replacement also.

I have used one aqueon stealth and its works well, its off by about 2 degrees though.

Never had good experiences with hydors. Had one cook a tank and have read a lot of other instances of this as well.

Never used Jager heaters. Probably will try them next.

kurly
01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
The best/accurate heater is kind of like asking someone what the best soda drink is. Everyone has their own opinion of what is working best. I hear the jager brand is one of the better ones. Think it is safe to say any heater can fail.

The stealth heaters had lots of issues, there were a few reports of them actually exploding in tanks, if you do a google search can see some posts in other forums of some broken tanks cause of them. Most of the cases with the stealth heaters had to do with leaking voltage into the tank or not turning off when they should, resulting in tanks getting overheated and cooking the fish. At first only a few models of the stealth heaters were being recalled, then eventually they recalled all the models.

Here is the recall notice http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html

There is a phone number you can call to get the cash back or get a replacement heater in exchange for any old stealth heaters you may have.

Great... I didn't realize that they recalled ALL of the Stealth Heaters. Thought it was just Stealth Pro... I've had my Stealth heater for about 3 years now in my 65 Gallon tank..:ssuprised: Guess I better make that call now :scry:

I know this is an old thread... just wanted to buy a new heater for my 10 gallon tank and thought this thread would give me some direction as to which one I should get and it gave me even more.

*Edit.... Just got off the phone with the 800 Number. They are sending me a VisaTherm Deluxe in 7-10 days. Gotta research that one and try not to worry about my tank exploding until it gets here..

Fishin Phil
01-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I've been an ebo-jager man for past 10 years or so. Never had any complaints.

kurly
01-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Appreciate the info. If I had the money for another heater, I would entertain that thought but until I do I'll have to wait for the replacement. They put you between a rock and a hard place regarding this recall. You either get your money back but FIRST have to return the stealth heater (I can't do that because I dont have an extra heater lying around here for me to put in the tank while my heater is being returned) OR take the only other heater they offer as a replacement (Visa-Therm) and then return the Stealth. I hope there won't be a recall on the Visa-Therm too.

I need to change the water in my tank today. Just hope nothing happens before I get the replacement heater in the mail. :pray:

Taurus
01-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Aqueons must be on the worst list then. I've have two and both had to be set at 84 to give me a tank of 76-78. (150 watt on 29 gallons.)

My experience has been completely different with the Aqueon Pro Heaters. I've have had a 200w and a 100w in each of my tanks for over a year now and they are always spot on.