PDA

View Full Version : Catfish keep getting sick

Mark Lathrop
08-08-2007, 07:25 AM
I lost an oto recently, and now I have a cory with pop eye. I ended up treating the entire tank with melafix/pimafix. Is an air stone recommended?

I couldn't see any fungus on any of the little guys. Kind of odd.

SkarloeysMom
08-08-2007, 07:10 PM
its hard to say why they die sometimes. I just had a Oto die for no appearent reason. He seemed happier than I think he'd ever been since his move to the new tank with an algae covered stick to suck on. I was really surprised he died. He was a big fish so maybe it was old age because he was acting odd one day and then dead the next morning. I had treated my tank with Melafix for the 2 days previous because I had just added some new fish, some of which were sick and died the first day I got them. Maybe they gave him something. I hope the other 2 hang in there.

I don't know if an air stone would we helpful with bottom feeders. I had one on my 10g but didn't add one back to the 20g yet.

gm72
08-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Mark, not sure what is happening there, and sorry to hear of your troubles. Please reference this article from this wonderful site, I think they call it the Aquatic Community or something :ezpi_wink1: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/eyeproblems.php
Pay particular attention to the bottom paragraph about pop eye.

Mark Lathrop
08-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the link. Those aquatic community guys seem to rock.:c5:

Skarloey, I hope your sick little guys get healthy again!

Mark Lathrop
08-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Happy to say that he's doing WAY better. The swelling is subsiding and he was very active today. Yay! Thanks for the responses. :)

gm72
08-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Great news, glad all is well!

About those guys at Aquatic Community, yeah, I heard they rock, too. Think I'll check them out! :c12:

Mark Lathrop
08-13-2007, 06:42 AM
Maybe I spoke too soon. He looked like he was healing, and was doing pretty good for a couple of days. Then he crashed this morning and by this evening he was gone. Little fella just couldn't hold on I guess. :(

RobbieG
08-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Sorry to hear it Mark :(

TowBoater
08-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear that. Do a large water change and check your water paramounts.

SkarloeysMom
08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Sorry to hear you lost a cory, Mark.