PDA

View Full Version : I need some reviews before i buy here

ekfishlover2011
10-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Has anybody ever gotten their cherry shrimps from this place?
http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/shrimp/red-cherry-shrimp.php

My LFS has decided suddenly that they will no longer stock them, probably because they dont get sold, seeing how they sell them for $4 a pop. So i searched elsewhere and came across The Shrimp Farm. It says there's a guarantee on live arrival, no shipping fees or tax, and i get 30 for $39.99. Sounds good to me, but im still wary. They are from Illinois, so the shrimp would have to travel the whole way from there to Eastern Pennsylvania. That seems hard to believe that all will survive... So have any of you guys ordered from here?

Aeonflame
10-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Very coincidental to see you here.

Sorry I dont know about that place

Strider199
10-23-2011, 12:33 AM
I have not ordered them over the net. But I have read a lot of reviews that the shrimp arrive alive and well.

I was able to drive about an hour to get mine so the guy didn't need to ship them to me. Worked for both of us.
He still put the shrimp in a bag that allows waste gas to escape while keeping the water in and allowing the oxygen t get back into the water. They add a bit of java moss for the travel.

ekfishlover2011
10-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Okay. Yea i saw the one review on the site but ive also seen some really bad reviews posted on websites on places i have good luck with and good for places that suck for me for other stuff, so i was iffy on believing them. But i guess they must be good if they are guaranteeing my shrimps survive. I know my LFS doesnt guarantee them even to make it back to my house 10 mins away! I guess ill get them. They say they use bags like that, and if they put moss in that would be awesome (i think i killed mine lol). My four still are getting nowhere and im impatient, so time to add 30 extra and actually get something i can call a colony started! :)

Strider199
10-23-2011, 12:56 AM
ekfishlover2011, never be impatient. Most rewarding things take time and effort. Having a few more shrimp in that tank will speed things up though.

ekfishlover2011
10-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Yea, these 4 are juvies, thats my problem ive discovered, so getting a bunch more that already are grown (hopefully) and hopefully will be mixed with males, females, juvies and berried females will speed it up a whole bunch. Its such a pain to search through 10gallons of water and dark gravel and lots of hiding places to attempt to find four tiny shrimp. Id like to see more life. I think 34 will do the trick much better than just 4. :)

Strider199
10-23-2011, 01:05 AM
They will. Having had many shrimp in my 10 gallon before was really nice. The more the merrier. But just make sure you have the space to keep the babies as they become grown and their babies.

ekfishlover2011
10-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Im actually breeding for one sole purpose, food. I go through so many ghost shrimp every month, it was suggested to me why not breed shrimp to eat and cut out trip to store? But ghost shrimp are hard to breed so they suggested cherries. Okay. The more they overpopulate the more get dumped in main tank, where its not really possible to successfully reproduce at all. I plan on waiting until it looks like a lot of shrimp before i do this (thatwould be dumb to start harvesting shrimps before i get them breeding like crazy. I figure keep it 'round 50 permanently and harvest when they hit 100. Take half, wait, take half, wait. They should be able to keep up with that if i never feed any saddled or berried females to the fish. They will all stay in. Only juvies will be eaten, and no more than once a month to start, unless that turns out to not be often enough. Survivors make a nice pretty colony safe from the predators that eat their friends! :)

Lady Hobbs
10-23-2011, 03:27 AM
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwinverts

Try here.

korith
10-23-2011, 04:25 AM
That place is a bit pricy. Try the buy/sell forum section of this site www.plantedtank.net/forums/ I've had good luck with my purchases from folks there. Mostly plants, but sometimes shrimp too.

toddnbecka
10-23-2011, 05:23 AM
They will. Having had many shrimp in my 10 gallon before was really nice. The more the merrier. But just make sure you have the space to keep the babies as they become grown and their babies.
A 10 gallon tank can easily support hundreds of cherry shrimp. Their bioload is minimal, and unlike fish they don't require much swimming space or establish territories.
If you're going to breed them for live food I'd suggest starting with 50-100 and a 29 gallon tank. You'll need a large number of breeding adults if you want to use some for feeders weekly.

ekfishlover2011
10-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Ah, now i wish i stayed on here longer before hitting the buy button and going to bed. Oh well, i know now for next time now to try Aquabid or that other place if i ever need another time. Your info was helpful too Todd, i guess that means i dont have to worry about them overcrowding if they get over 50. I read that somewhere to keep 4 per gallon. Im actually only feeding once a month, but if that ends up depleting the population too fast i will go even less than that. They are just snacks pretty much.

They will be arriving on either Tuesday or Wednesday they said, so i checked tank for normal stuff and then checked for copper too, and all is good, the flatworm things are all gone and my plant is finally showing signs of life, so i think im ready to go! I cant wait. :19: :19:

toddnbecka
10-24-2011, 02:39 AM
One thing I found that cherry shrimp (and snails too) love to eat are dead leaves. I'd bring in some brown leaves from the water lilies in the backyard pond and they'd be completely gone in 24 hours. Oak leaves went the same way, though not quite as quickly.

ekfishlover2011
10-24-2011, 02:40 AM
Okay thanks. What better time to get leaves than fall? :) Do i have to boil them or rinse them or anything, or should leaves be fine to just throw in?

korith
10-24-2011, 04:19 AM
Okay thanks. What better time to get leaves than fall? :) Do i have to boil them or rinse them or anything, or should leaves be fine to just throw in?

I'd avoid getting any from a yard that sprays chemicals on their lawn/trees. Other than just rinse them off if you want and toss them into the tank. If they don't sink right away, can weigh it down with a few pieces of gravel.

FinalJenemba
10-24-2011, 04:35 AM
I see its too late for the OP, but for anyone else looking at this, this guy has great cherry's: http://www.ebay.com/sch/savingmoneyantiques/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I have bought from him personally and he's a great breeder. I actually bought 10 gravid females from him and now a month later I have about 100 lol.

toddnbecka
10-24-2011, 05:07 AM
They should be dried, brown leaves rather than freshly fallen to start with. Rain gutters are a great place to collect them from later in the season, particularly if they've been lying around wet for a while. A little mold or general decay makes them even more appetizing for shrimp. Like some pleco's that eat wood, they like the biofilm on the leaves as much as the leaves themselves.

ekfishlover2011
10-25-2011, 12:26 AM
okay thanks, ill keep on the lookout for partially decayed ones in non-sprayed areas. :)

ekfishlover2011
10-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Actually, i think next time i might go to that ebay guy. These guys a got here all arrived happy and healthy, but 28 of them were juvies or little babies, and only one female. :/ I might even just go and order the 20+ pack right now and top my 30 off with some berried females that it says he would give me. His shrimp are also a much nicer red, not that that really matters, but...