PDA

View Full Version : New to Fishkeeping

MattAndKate
10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Hello all, we've just bought our first fish tank and have posted in the comparability section asking for some help to chose our fish. I (Kate) and am completely colourblind so we're choosing our fish based on bold Patterson and pretty fins etc. Don't want too heavily a planted tank either so we're trying to find a good combination that will suit those requirements. Hope to find the help we need here and we're reading through the articles and eBook in the mean time too.

Captain America
10-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the AC !

Pamela2Heaven
10-21-2011, 11:25 AM
warning - it is very addictive to start this hobby!! lol I love it

MattAndKate
10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Every shop we've asked for advice in has said we would be ok to add some hardy fish after the tank has been running for a week.

On the day we set the tank up and filled it we added Tap Safe which came with it and have also added Filter Start, twice. It's been running for 4 days now.

Cliff
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Every shop we've asked for advice in has said we would be ok to add some hardy fish after the tank has been running for a week.

On the day we set the tank up and filled it we added Tap Safe which came with it and have also added Filter Start, twice. It's been running for 4 days now.

Running a empty tank for a week will do nothing to get your tank ready for your fish. I would suggest a fishless cycle. There's a link below in my sig that explains what I am suggesting.

It is great to see you are reading up on things before getting your fish

Welcome to the forum

MattAndKate
10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Isn't this what the Filter Start is for?

MattAndKate
10-21-2011, 11:47 AM
We have got the sand some plants and stones etc in there also and the heater's on and we have a 12" air stone strip running at the back to make little bubble wall.

Cliff
10-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Isn't this what the Filter Start is for?

Yes it is, but you still have to cycle it. That is the process of growing the Bactria that you need to eat the waste that your fish produce keeping the water healthy for your fish. There are two ways of doing that. Either with or without fish. There is a link that explains both processes below in my sig.

I would suggest a fishless cycle now before you get your fish. IMO, it is easier to fishless cycle and you don't have to worry about possibly harming or stressing your fish

MattAndKate
10-21-2011, 11:57 AM
I did read the links but thought there was ammonia in the Filter Start so that we shouldn't add more? If there isn't ammonia in it then I've no idea what it's doing lol.

Cliff
10-21-2011, 12:01 PM
You will still need to add ammonia. I would suggest giving the link a second read and starting a thread in the cycling section of the forum. With all of use members here, we can help you through the process, no worries at all. It's not all that hard to cycle a tank. You'll see what I mean after you have finished your first fishless cycle

MattAndKate
10-21-2011, 12:11 PM
So you don't know what the Filter Start is for either then? lol

Cliff
10-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Filter start is additive to help your cycle along faster. I found the info in the below link after a quick internet search

If these types of products actually work as advertized is a topic that is debated here from time to time. You certainly don't need it to cycle a tank. It may help you cycle your tank faster, but it would not hurt anything either.

http://www.koicarp.net/water_treatment/clear_tech/filter_start.html

MattAndKate
10-21-2011, 12:28 PM
It's not that product but I think it's similar. Maybe a UK forum would be a better idea but thanks for trying to help. There's so much differing information all over the place and from what I could gather you wouldn't add amp is and the Filter Start but whenever we try any new site we get differing information so it's quite confusing.

Will keep looking.

Thanks anyway.

gadget228
10-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Aeonflame
10-22-2011, 02:34 PM
It's not that product but I think it's similar. Maybe a UK forum would be a better idea but thanks for trying to help. There's so much differing information all over the place and from what I could gather you wouldn't add amp is and the Filter Start but whenever we try any new site we get differing information so it's quite confusing.

Will keep looking.

Thanks anyway.

You are free to choose whatever site you wish, but the advice you got here was correct. What can a UK forum tell you that's any different? You seem to insist on using some snakeoil product that doesn't really have any effect on cycling as opposed to actually cycling the tank in a simple and proven manner.

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2011, 02:39 PM
So you don't know what the Filter Start is for either then? lol

As Cliff mentioned, read thru those two cycling threads and you'll get a better understanding of what a cycle is and why it's so important. There's no reason to put a fish thru stress if it can avoided and save you, as well, on a lot of water changes.

I would cycle first and then add that Filter Start at the same time you add the fish just to be extra careful.