PDA

View Full Version : mean tetras?

calla
08-07-2007, 11:47 PM
I have 3 black skirt tetras, and 2 white. They've seemed a bit like loners since I got them, and never really have shoaled.... but recently I've noticed that they are being really mean to each other. Two of the black ones gang up on the other black, it always hides behind plants or this log thing I have in the tank. And when I feed them, he just sits there still. I've been worried about how much he's getting to eat...

The two white skirts have their "spots" in the tank that they guard very aggressively, and pretty often a white and black meet in the middle to fight...

I'm assuming I was wrong in thinking the black and whites would group together...wondering if maybe the problem is that they aren't with enough of their own kind to feel safe... anyone know?

Nick_Pavlovski
08-08-2007, 12:04 AM
There are always pecking orders, but maybe indeed they feel that they can't shoal becuase they are different species...
sorry it isn't working.

gm72
08-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Your tetras generally like to be in schools of at least 5. When the schools are too small they try, unsuccessfully, to establish a pecking order.

What size tank is this? Are there other tank inhabitants?

calla
08-08-2007, 01:01 AM
it's a 20 gallon. And they share the tank with a common pleco. (Plan on moving them into my 55 gallon as soon as it finishes cycling).

I'm thinking about giving them to my friend (the white skirts) and trying to make a bigger school of black. See if that helps.

gm72
08-08-2007, 01:32 AM
That 55 is likely to eventually be too small for the common. He can and probably will get over a foot long.

Depending on the size of the common pleco you are well understocked with only 5 skirt tetras. Could easily increase the schools of both if you so choose.

calla
08-08-2007, 02:10 AM
right now he is about 5 inches. but he is growing fast, probably started at about 2 in when we got him a few months ago. I know that he will eventually grow too large for the 55 as well, as will the bala sharks that are already in it. For now though, this is the best I can do. Soon, after moving to a bigger place, I want to set up a 75-100 gallon for the sharks, I have three now and want a couple more, and the pleco. Then use the 55 for a community tank with the existing tetras and swordtails, adding in some corys and other small fish we haven't picked yet... keeping the 20 gallon for an incubator tank.

I think I'll get some more black skirts soon, I like them a litle better than the white... might get 3 or 4 more.

RobbieG
08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Ithink if you go with a group of 5-6 like GM72 said they will be fine I have mixed tetras in most of my tanks and have found that groups of that size seen to do really well

gm72
08-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Calla, good to hear you are ready to upgrade when needed. You'll see a nice change in behavior when you increase the size of the school.

calla
08-13-2007, 12:28 AM
well so far so good! We got four more black skirts today, and shortly after introducing them to the tank, they already have started to shoal more!

... the same one in particular that I was worried about before is still hiding a lot, and not swimming with the group very much. I'll give it a few days to see how he adjusts..

TowBoater
08-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Tetras are known to be fin nippers. They will calm down once they get used to each other, if it don't, you will need to separate the aggressive ones.

gm72
08-13-2007, 01:11 AM
I used to have a school of about 9 or so black skirts. One would just NOT cool down, so he is now permanently housed in a 10 gallon with some neons and glo-lite tetras. The other 8 seem much happier, too.

TowBoater
08-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Yup, fish have personalities just like humans and just like humans, you have a mean one every now and then.

calla
08-13-2007, 12:54 PM
this morning I noticed that one does seem to be very aggressive compared to the others..... he is chasing everyone around, and clinging really close to them. Out of all of them, the mean one is actually the smallest one!
The one I've had for a while now that I was worried about is doing much better, he is out swimming with everyone instead of hiding.

the biggest one of all seems to be the one getting picked on the most... her fins are starting to look a little torn up. If I seperate one from the group, should it be the bully or the bull-ied?

TowBoater
08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Yes, take him back to your LFS or put him in a tank by himself.

Lady Hobbs
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
I've had the same 9 black tetra's for nearly two years. I just love the little guys. I got 5 whites thinking they would be good company but forget it! The whites went after the blacks constantly. I removed the whites and kept them alone in their own tank. I added them to my list of "never to buy again" along with the mollies and danio's! :)

Tetra's do not interact with one another nor skoal together.

TowBoater
08-13-2007, 01:14 PM
When I had mixed variety's of tetras mine did fine together. IDK what was wrong with mine.

calla
08-13-2007, 01:39 PM
well fortunately my friend took the whites for me...... I didn't have room enough to increase both shoals, or an extra cycled tank to put one group in. So, I opted for the blacks and just got the four more to make a shoal of 7. Originally these tetras were some of my favoites... but now I'm starting to wish I'd gotten that cute little bunch of cory's instead!

thinking about checking with the store when I get home from work, see if they will take the black skirts back. I'm all about a peaceful tank... really don't like it when the inhabitants fight.

Lady Hobbs
08-13-2007, 01:42 PM
I've heard of some that had problems with their black skirts but I never had a bit of problems. Maybe because I've always had 9? The angels like to chase them now and then but they get along with everything. At least for me.

I also had the rosy tetra and didn't like them either.

TowBoater
08-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Corys are some of the neatest fish I own. Glowlight tetras are neat to watch as well, you can look at a school of them.

calla
08-13-2007, 08:51 PM
ok so the lfs is going to take back the tetras, I can't stand them fighting like that all the time... hopefully they will settle down back in a tank with like 30 of them haha.

now that the 20 gallon sits with only a pleco (a fast growing, crazy pooping one though) I was thinking about getting some corys.
Would it be bad to have only bottom dwellers though? Too much competition for food? The pleco is moving soon...but the 55 gallon isn't quite cycled.

how many corys will work for 20 gallons?

they are very cute.. but my friends seem to just hide all the time. Is that normal?

TowBoater
08-14-2007, 12:23 AM
No, mine are out constantly, actually they beg for food, my albinos eat from my hand. Albinos I think aren't as timid, it will take them a good week before they will come out good but don't worry, they will.

james44121
08-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Tetras are known to be fin nippers. They will calm down once they get used to each other, if it don't, you will need to separate the aggressive ones.
I have some black skirt tetras but i have found them to be aggressive....what other fish should i put in my tank?

cocoa_pleco
08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I have some black skirt tetras but i have found them to be aggressive....what other fish should i put in my tank?

fish that do not have long fins. ones with long fins always get nipped