PDA

View Full Version : Any info on my new Pleco? (pic included)

Euporie
10-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Just got one from a roomie who didnt want him any more. Is there anything i should know about this little guy?

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/euporie/photo.jpg

Strider199
10-19-2011, 01:10 AM
There are so many different types of pleco's, it's really tough to tell for sure which one that is.
Check out this link and see if you can id it.

www.planetcatfish.com/

Alot of pleco's need driftwood in the tank to supplement their diet.
Some get huge like 2 feet.
All like cucumber or zucchini along with their algae and wafer diet.

Amazing your first AC gift is a pleco.:11:

Brhino
10-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Looks like a rubbernose pleco (sometimes called rubberlip or bulldog). They get to be 4-5". They'll eat a bit of everything including regular fish food and algae... you should provide it with fresh veggies like zucchini to eat too.

Euporie
10-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Hm, looks like i will have to try zucchini. I've tried to feed my other pleco algae wafers, but my granulated catfish always steals em first.

Do I need to cook the zucchini or anything before tossing it into the tank?

I assume I will have to attach it to like a rock or something to get it to sink.

Euporie
10-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Looks like a rubbernose pleco (sometimes called rubberlip or bulldog). They get to be 4-5". They'll eat a bit of everything including regular fish food and algae... you should provide it with fresh veggies like zucchini to eat too.

Just googled rubbernose pleco and all the pictures look just like him. Thanks!:19:

Strider199
10-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Some just put the zucchini in the tank as it is, I pour boiling water over mine for a few seconds, let it sit and use toothpicks to stick it into the gravel. Take it out after 24 hours so it doesn't pollute the tank.
Your pleco may not find it right away but after a few times it becomes his/her favourite spot.

I too have a rubberlipped/bulldog and they are neat.