PDA

View Full Version : Why is my anubias melting ?

BiGBlak
10-15-2011, 03:01 AM
So far ive have about 3 rizomes just melt on me and i have no idea why. Im tying them to wood not burying them and they where nice big healthy plants before then and a week later melting ? I describe melting as the rhizome turns brown and mushy and the leaves fall off one by one . Is there anything im doing wrong ? am i pulling off weak leaves the wrong way tying to tight ? I have no idea because the one i just found like that was really really lightly tied . This plant is suppose to be hard to kill but it seems im killing them with out trying .

DylanisHawttt
10-15-2011, 03:38 AM
That can happen when plants are grown emersed and then we "drown" them as tank owners. Anubias is an extremely hardy species, its almost impossible to kill.

Cecile1
10-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Heater too hot?

MCHRKiller
10-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Could be that they are too firmly attached to your wood. I have also been having issues lately with anubias reacting badly to Excel...never happend before and it is not a documented issue with Excel.

BiGBlak
10-15-2011, 04:52 AM
I did add exel once. The one I found the other day was tied tightly but the ones today where no tied tight it was very loose because of the part of the driftwood it was on . Hopefull I don't lose anymore because I have them how I like them and they are growing . Could it be that my temp is 80 ? It's hard to keep it lower because my room is hot .

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Temp shouldn't be the issue, I've kept a couple species of Anubia in with Discus with no issue. How's your water flow?

smaug
10-15-2011, 12:17 PM
more about the tank please? Lighting,ferts added,ph?

BiGBlak
10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
more about the tank please? Lighting,ferts added,ph?
Lol should it matter ? Anubias shouldn't be doing this! Haha but I have some in both my tank and in my 40g the lighting is a t5 96w and on my 55g a t5 108w for a long time never added any frets because I didn't have anything but excel and last week or the beginning of this week I decided to dose once each tank to give tem a little something because they seemed like the needed something. I had flourish coming on the way and when it got here I dosed the tanks with that but like 4 days and a water change after I added excel. But I discover this before even dosing the tanks with ferts . . The water flow on the tanks the 40g has 4 ac30s and the 55g has a ac110 and a ehiem 2217 with a wave maker on the side . Just doesn't make sense. And about the ph I havnt checked it since I originally checked it once I first got my tanks up and running two years ago and it was like 7.4- 7.6 dnt really remember but one of those ( jus woke up replying on my phone ) but never did anything different with my tanks since do it should still be the same.

Lady Hobbs
10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
They are melting because they wanted to live with me! Told ya!
:hmm3grin2orange:

But really, I have no idea of why this may be happening. All I know is that my 2 year old plant has finally started to give me a bunch of new leaves. Finally!

BiGBlak
10-15-2011, 07:43 PM
They are melting because they wanted to live with me! Told ya!
:hmm3grin2orange:

But really, I have no idea of why this may be happening. All I know is that my 2 year old plant has finally started to give me a bunch of new leaves. Finally!
Lol . I have multiple ones growing new leaves weekly the come one week then the next week nothing then the following one another for the ones that haven't melted . I guess the ones that are not melting are the ones that grow new leave I also assume they are attaching also . I jus hope I don't lose anymore !!

smaug
10-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Anubias suffer from all the same issues as do other common aquarium plants,just more slowly. I have lost anubia several times the way you describe and each time there was some sort of neglect on my part be it ferts or bad lighst,temperature to high,use of carbon and too clean of water.

Lady Hobbs
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
As long as new leaves are coming out, then don't fret. The plant is still thriving if putting out new growth. Remember they also floated in the tank for a bit. Perhaps they just got too much light for a spell.

So, how do you like that substrate? It looks really nice in your tank.

BiGBlak
10-16-2011, 12:38 AM
I like the way the substrate looks im waiting for the dwarf saf to get going before i say i love it. with plants i like them but dont feel they will grow for me so im waiting for that to happen soon. but the look i love . wish it wasnt so light tho easily moved around by my fish.

Lady Hobbs
10-16-2011, 02:34 AM
They like that tho. They like to play in substrate and throw it around some and dig food out of it. More natural to them than swimming in rocks.

Lab_Rat
10-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Sometimes anubias get that rot. The best way to deal with it is to cut off the rotting rhizome with sharp scissors. Give it a good margin. I then will dip the end that was attached to the rot in hydrogen peroxide to try and prevent more rot. If you don't get rid of the rotting part you can lose the whole plant.

mermaidwannabe
10-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I have the same problem with one of my Anubias. The rhizome is brown and the leaves have been falling off at the base where they attach to the rhizome. I have others (Anubias nanas, all) where the outer edges of the leaves are very ragged, and those, I suspect, are being chewed on by snails. The only fish in that tank are tiny minnows, danios and glofish. My RCS might also be nibbling the leaves (?).

My LFS is shipping me some Seachem Flourish tomorrow. I'll try that. I suspect a lack of nutrients because my nitrates are low, and there is no nitrates in my tap water, and no copper in the tank, so maybe they're lacking needed minerals.

I tend to keep my tank quite clean, though I try not to overclean. Haven't been messing with the filter at all, lately, except to occasionally rinse out the prefilter sponge.

My light is medium overall, and brighter in the clearing between the masses of floating plants.

Maybe if you put some Flourish in there, the combined nutrients will boost them back up...

-- mermaidwannabe

BiGBlak
10-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Knowing that this plant is almost impossible to kill unless intentionally trying im trying to figure out what could be the problem ? ive have multiple anubias survive without this problem just floating for a long time i would say almost a yea floating and as soon as i try to attach them i get this problem. Now today i discovered that another leaf has detatached so i felt around on each rhizome because i found out that the other plants rhizome that where loosing leaves where mushy. I didnt find that as i felt around each rhizome. So the next this i came to think is can it be that i cut the roots to attach it ? is that making them melt ? if so is there a right and wrong way to cut the roots ? i cut them in order to attach them to the driftwood. if its not the fact that i cut the roots the wrng way i feel this will always remain a mystery and im going ti feel i can never keep plants which i do want to . plz tell me that can be the issue i usually just snip the roots so that there are only about a inch and a half left.

Trillianne
10-17-2011, 05:14 AM
Out of curiosity... When you cut your rhizome(and roots), did you do it with a sharp knife in a clean cut?

If not, that could be the cause of your plant rotting.

BiGBlak
10-17-2011, 05:32 AM
Out of curiosity... When you cut your rhizome(and roots), did you do it with a sharp knife in a clean cut?

If not, that could be the cause of your plant rotting.
I never cut the rhizome I cut the roots and with utility sizzors a nice swift cut and that's all . Seen people cut thm with sizzors .

mermaidwannabe
10-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Looks like I might be learning something new, here.

I never read anything about cutting the roots before attaching the rhizomes, or even cutting the rhizome, until I just now read it here. Is that really necessary? The research I've done said that the plant would eventually send its roots down into the substrate, so I just tied mine with the expectation the plant would do its own natural thing. I didn't cut anything from mine.

I have finally gotten rid of the one with the brown rhizome and only one leaf left on it (it had six to begin with). That rhizome was rotten and mushy, once I got it out of the water and could feel it.

I've removed the few ragged and yellowing leaves from the rest of them. Those other rhizomes are still green and appear healthy, as do all of the remaining leaves and stems.

I still think the raggedness of the outermost edges was due to chewing. I've read about pinholes being a potassium deficiency, and curling of the leaves also being a nutrient deficiency, but no mention in any of the articles has been made of the outermost edges being torn and ragged -- which makes it seem reasonable that would only happen if the leaves were being eaten.

As soon as the product arrives, all my plants will start getting the Flourish comprehensive. Hopefully, that will rectify any deficit problems.

-- mermaid

BiGBlak
10-17-2011, 08:01 PM
The anubias im trying to attach is barteri the large variety of anubias not the nana or petite . Im not sure if its necessary to trim the roots or not but i heard from planted tank geeks and articles that it doesnt hurt the plant. Flourish is supposed to be dosed twice a week so im going to add some more tomorrow . The thing that bothers me is the melting, today another leaf was at the surface and i can see where it came from but the rhizome doesnt look dead. Im losing faith in keeping plants period the more this happens its anubias for sake! the hardiest plant ever and i cant seem to keep it and i think its the most expensive plant out there. If i lose my remaining ones it will be expensive replacing them. It just doesnt add up hopefully i can find a article or something on what could be causing this. Floating ok with no ferts tied dwn dying with ferts?