PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose Breeding

Beebz
10-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Couple questions about the breeding. I am going to have four bristlenose in my 55 gallon aquarium. 3 female and 1 male, will it be easy to tell when they have paired off? Also in the tank is a Peacock eel, 4 black skirt tetras, and 3 blue rams. All of these fish will probably eat the fry...right? Lastly, should I buy a seperate aquarium for the spawning of the babies, or will one of those seperate containers that sit in the tank do?

rich311k
10-14-2011, 12:08 AM
They do not really pair off. The male tries to get a gal into his cave. She lays eggs he fertilizes them and then he throws her out and tends them himself. He would mate with all 3 if he can.

A separate tank for fry rearing would be your best bet.

Beebz
10-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Would a ten gallon work. And do you agree with all the other fish that they may eat them up?

rich311k
10-14-2011, 12:29 AM
They sure would try. A twenty long would be better.

Beebz
10-14-2011, 12:30 AM
I have a 20, not long, that has a dwarf gourami two small cories, and other small schooling fish. How about that? Or one last option, getting a small box that suctions on to the side, and when ther're eggs, quickly put them in there.

rich311k
10-14-2011, 01:06 AM
You really want the male to tend the eggs. He will hide in a cave with the fry until they get a little size. All of a sudden you will see young fry in the tank. If you want to do this put the BN's in their own 20 long, with driftwood, plants and a piece of PVC pipe about an inch or so in diameter. Feed them good fresh veggies and before you know it you will have BNs every where. Best part is you can raise them right in the tank as the adults will not bother the young ones.