PDA

View Full Version : hitcher IDs needed

smaug
10-10-2011, 12:45 AM
got some more free critters with polyp rock!

The fella said it might be a brain coral?

fanworms?

On the right of the rock,quite a few of them.

Cliff
10-10-2011, 01:52 AM
On the last pic are you referring to what is growing just to the right of the corals

Those look like either colonial hydroids or some type of feather duster to me.

Strider199
10-10-2011, 01:56 AM
Thats whats so neat about saltwater reefs, you never know for sure what your going to get. Cool stuff Smaug.

frefal13
10-10-2011, 01:56 AM
It might just be me but that doesn't look like a brain coral...It kinda looks more like a mushroom but I could be wrong. If it is some sort of lps it isnt looking too good IMO. And I cant even see the worms you are referring to so I am no help there :14: lol

smaug
10-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Thatg brain slash mushroom thing was all tentacles this morning,I don't know what they are supposed to look like doing well or not:hmm3grin2orange:
The fan worm I refer to is very prominent in the picture,it is the basket shaped brown thing. Cliff, I think you are correct about the colonial hydroid thing. That isn't good is it? I didn't see them there when I bought the rock.

Cliff
10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Ah, I think I see what your talking about now. It could be a flatworm

You could just do a medicated dip using the below

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/review/showproduct.php?product=430&cat=500

Just use old tank water and this stuff, remove the whole rock and let it sit in there for about 5 to 10 minutes. All the flat worms will just fall right off. I always use this product when adding new corals to the tank so I don’t introduce something nasty to the tank. This stuff will not harm your corals, BB, or coraline. Seams to work for me.

I'm not too sure how to get rid of colonial hydroids. I have read that raising your Mag levels to around 1600ppm will help to get rid of them combind with manual removal. From what I have read, they can become a big pain in the back side if not removed

smaug
10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Flatworm!? I'm reffering to the fanworm shaped basket,I will outline it when I get home on a proper puter.

kaybee
10-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Years ago I purchased what I thought was a mushroom coral. It turned out to be a kind of LPS. It was more flatten out at the store, but looked more like this when I added to my tank:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Saltwater/pec.jpg

It turned out to be pectinia and now looks radically different. I think your 'brain coral' looks a lot like it. As it grow in size it's identity will come more refined.

Those smaller brown polyp things do appear to be colonial hydroids. I had them in my tank years ago. They increased in number for awhile and then I think disappeared on their own.

smaug
10-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Here is the outlined picture of id needed. Im sure its just a fanworm.

smaug
10-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Kaybee: will the hydroids hurt the polyps they are on the rock with?

Cliff
10-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Flatworm!? I'm reffering to the fanworm shaped basket,I will outline it when I get home on a proper puter.

Sorry Smaug, I was actualy referring to the last pic. I didn't realize you were talking about the middle one (blush)

smaug
10-11-2011, 10:01 AM
That's cool Cliffy! The last pic has the col hyds.

kaybee
10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Kaybee: will the hydroids hurt the polyps they are on the rock with?

The one's I had grew amidst some palythoa's and they didn't seem to be affected. I think the paly's were blocking a lot of light and the hydroids migrated to another rock, grew in number, then kind of disappeared.

smaug
10-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Thx Kaybee.