PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!

giantsuck
08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
i'm new to this but at my wts end. it started when they were giving away feeder goldfish at a birthday party i took my 1 year old too. my son loved him so i decided we are going to give him a proper home. (i have a highly addictive personality so giving up on this is not an option.) i went out and bought only a 20gallon tank to keep on top of the entertainement center. i bought a whisper folter and a whisper bubble machine, about7 live plants 1 small crab 2 japanese trapdoor snails, i clam and the feeder(of course) Lucky. i bought flouresent lighting only filled the tank with bottled water. and bought every food and healthcare product to keep the little guy happy. is has grown to 3 timesthe size and is flourishing and it has been 6 months now. HOWEVER everytime i add another goldfish to the mix the new fish dies in 1 week. everytime. i feed every other day and am careful not to overfeed. change part of the water every 2 weeks. put in stress coat. the water is crystal clear. i would like to bring in another 2 or 3 fishes but i can't. Lucky had an ich issue which i cleared right away but the others would have died. what am i doing right with him that i'm not with the others. my wife has even nicknamed me fishkiller. PLEASE HELP!!!!

tropfish
08-06-2007, 07:10 PM
has your goldfish had any aggression to the new goldfish. have they died with shredded fins or the like?. Feeder goldfish at the store are jsut what there name entitles, feeder fish. they are not kept in good condition and are often diseased to begin with. Thank you for buying a tank and looking up all the information and not just sticking him in a fish bowl. Have you done any water changes by syphoning out water and putting some back in. you can just use regular tap water and dechlorinate it unless you have a well.

On another note don't buy any more fish. the rule for goldfish is 20g for the first goldfish and 10 additional gallons for every other goldfish, so you cannot add any more fish. your setup sounds good and it seems you went all out on your fish. Just make sure that the sanils don't multiply too fast and take over your tank, goldfish just love to eat the babies so you should be ok.

happy fishkeeping and welcome to the forum.

MeganL3985
08-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I would just leave it as it is, as well, like Tropfish said. He's got a perfect set up for himself and if he is killing off the fish (possibly), then maybe its just best to leave him alone with the snails and stuff. Sorry thats happening though! Best of luck!

Spyder
08-06-2007, 08:40 PM
My hats off to you for taking a feeder goldfish, giving him a home and him surviving.

I think the original may possibly not have actually been a feeder. Feeders are very poorly breed and usually won't survive. The new purchases are probably feeders and because they were poorly breed and poorly cared for they just die on their own. I bet it's not anything you are doing. I would try purchasing a quality fish, not a feeder and I bet you will have better success. However, as Tropfish stated, purchasing more will overstock your tank.

tropfish
08-06-2007, 11:13 PM
micheal is totally right about the feeder fish thing. i had a feeder comet i won from the fair for three years. hes was a little over 6inches, he died of swim bladder this year. its a very rare thing to find a good one. i had won a silver goldfish from the fair. i put it in my 10g not thinking about it and it became extremely sick and killed 2 of my other fish along with it, which was totally my mistake and i make surei totally inspect fish from now on to make sure there healthy.

Incredulous_Ed
08-07-2007, 04:20 AM
Don;t get any more gold fish. there is simply not enough room in the tank for another one. However, I congratulate you on being a good fishkeeper and not keeping your buddy in a bowl. :)

giantsuck
08-07-2007, 03:44 PM
that can't be why the same one has survived and the others have died.

giantsuck
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
problem is he is the only feeder fish i have bought, allthe others have been fancy goldfish.

My hats off to you for taking a feeder goldfish, giving him a home and him surviving.

I think the original may possibly not have actually been a feeder. Feeders are very poorly breed and usually won't survive. The new purchases are probably feeders and because they were poorly breed and poorly cared for they just die on their own. I bet it's not anything you are doing. I would try purchasing a quality fish, not a feeder and I bet you will have better success. However, as Tropfish stated, purchasing more will overstock your tank.

giantsuck
08-07-2007, 03:50 PM
he's gotta be healthy, he looks great and could survive the black plague

micheal is totally right about the feeder fish thing. i had a feeder comet i won from the fair for three years. hes was a little over 6inches, he died of swim bladder this year. its a very rare thing to find a good one. i had won a silver goldfish from the fair. i put it in my 10g not thinking about it and it became extremely sick and killed 2 of my other fish along with it, which was totally my mistake and i make surei totally inspect fish from now on to make sure there healthy.

giantsuck
08-07-2007, 03:51 PM
lucky has gotten along with every fish i had.

I would just leave it as it is, as well, like Tropfish said. He's got a perfect set up for himself and if he is killing off the fish (possibly), then maybe its just best to leave him alone with the snails and stuff. Sorry thats happening though! Best of luck!

giantsuck
08-07-2007, 03:52 PM
i have changed the water and lucky gets along with everything i have put in the tank.

has your goldfish had any aggression to the new goldfish. have they died with shredded fins or the like?. Feeder goldfish at the store are jsut what there name entitles, feeder fish. they are not kept in good condition and are often diseased to begin with. Thank you for buying a tank and looking up all the information and not just sticking him in a fish bowl. Have you done any water changes by syphoning out water and putting some back in. you can just use regular tap water and dechlorinate it unless you have a well.

On another note don't buy any more fish. the rule for goldfish is 20g for the first goldfish and 10 additional gallons for every other goldfish, so you cannot add any more fish. your setup sounds good and it seems you went all out on your fish. Just make sure that the sanils don't multiply too fast and take over your tank, goldfish just love to eat the babies so you should be ok.

happy fishkeeping and welcome to the forum.

Rue
08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
It's probably to do with your water quality.

Do you know what your water parametres are? Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are generally the main issues in most tanks...

New fish also need an acclimization period...they need to slowly get used to the new water they are going to go into. So let's say your new fish is used to very different water than what you have in your tank. Putting them in toxic water can shock them...just putting the new fish in very different water can shock them (as far as pH, alkalinity, hardness goes).

I agree that comets (the usual variety of feeder fish) need large tanks...they can grow to be a foot long or more). I disagree that they are all inherently sickly. Many people buy comets for their ponds and have them for years.

Goldfish also need cool waters - no heaters, and a chiller if necessary. They need double filtration since they are such dirty fish. They also need a varied diet of pellets, frozen (shrimp, worms) and fresh - such as zucchini, lettuce, orange slices, etc.

Rue
08-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Another couple of points: Don't mix feeders and fancies...they're two different types of goldfish...the feeders, or single-finned are much faster, agile and therefore more aggressive while eating. Double finned fish are slower, clumsy and need more time to feed. I know of people who have kept them successfully in large ponds...but I still wouldn't do it.

Also...goldfish are a schooling fish. They can survive as singles, but are much happier with company. The difference is palpable.

giantsuck
08-07-2007, 04:07 PM
thank you. finally someone has made scense. but i bought three regular goldfish recently and they all died in a week too. i'm telling you i'm jinxed.

Another couple of points: Don't mix feeders and fancies...they're two different types of goldfish...the feeders, or single-finned are much faster, agile and therefore more aggressive while eating. Double finned fish are slower, clumsy and need more time to feed. I know of people who have kept them successfully in large ponds...but I still wouldn't do it.

Also...goldfish are a schooling fish. They can survive as singles, but are much happier with company. The difference is palpable.

giantsuck
08-07-2007, 04:10 PM
it's bottled water, and i'm doing everything you said in the last paragraph.

It's probably to do with your water quality.

Do you know what your water parametres are? Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are generally the main issues in most tanks...

New fish also need an acclimization period...they need to slowly get used to the new water they are going to go into. So let's say your new fish is used to very different water than what you have in your tank. Putting them in toxic water can shock them...just putting the new fish in very different water can shock them (as far as pH, alkalinity, hardness goes).

I agree that comets (the usual variety of feeder fish) need large tanks...they can grow to be a foot long or more). I disagree that they are all inherently sickly. Many people buy comets for their ponds and have them for years.

Goldfish also need cool waters - no heaters, and a chiller if necessary. They need double filtration since they are such dirty fish. They also need a varied diet of pellets, frozen (shrimp, worms) and fresh - such as zucchini, lettuce, orange slices, etc.

Rue
08-07-2007, 04:24 PM
You still need to test your water...even if it looks clean it doesn't mean it isn't toxic - you can't see ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Often the pet stores will test it for free for you. If you have time, run in a sampel and see what the parameters are. Once you know those, you can attempt to 'fix' what ever is wrong.

giantsuck
08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
i'll buy a master kit this weekend.

gm72
08-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Giantsuck, stop the successive posts. You had 5 across the first two pages of this thread and another 2 here. Post in one reply, please.

giantsuck
08-09-2007, 02:01 PM
what are you the post police? know one asked you mind your own business.

giantsuck
08-09-2007, 02:05 PM
what are you the post police? know one asked you mind your own business.

Giantsuck, stop the successive posts. You had 5 across the first two pages of this thread and another 2 here. Post in one reply, please.

gm72
08-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Actually, yes, I am the post police. I am one of the moderators here. I will not tolerate being attacked. We will discuss this further via PMs and I will determine whether to suspend you at that time.