PDA

View Full Version : Transporting RCS

bee_a_queen
10-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I have had my nano tank set up for some time now and it is stable and ready for some RCS. I even have a little algae bloom (whoops) for them to munch on. Because of travel I want to buy the shrimp Monday late afternoon prior to leaving the town my LFS is in. They would be in transit until the following morning. I know they must be capable of survival because other's ship them but what can I do to ensure that they all make it to my tank the next day with minimal stress and optimal survival. Should I leave them in the bag? Put them in one of those plastic tanks with the lids that kids put their hermit crabs in? Airstone overnight? Keep them in the dark?
TIA for any help!
A

Strider199
10-07-2011, 09:26 PM
When I picked up my RCS, the guy had these breathable plastic bags which he uses to ship his shrimp in. The built up gases inside will escape while letting new oxygen in. Also a piece of java moss is a good thing to have in their container as it gives them somewhere to hang out as well as a food source.

Shrimp are pretty hardy temperature wise I was told so unless it's getting way down there or way up there they should be fine over night.

Shrimp have very little bio-load so an air stone probably isn't necessary.