PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose dimorphism age....?

axolotl2
10-05-2011, 02:16 AM
I know there are several different factors that go into grow of a fish.. but at approximately what age, under good conditions, at what age should someone be able to distinguish the two?

Megalodon
10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi! I'm new here but am currently raising 3 Bristlenoses and my male has only just reached sexual maturity. I read somewhere it's 8-10 months for sexual maturity and about a year for full mature size. If you're interested my male bristlenose is approximately 7.5cm, my females are much smaller and are not mature as of yet (I assume they mature slower) but I bought them at a similar age at the same time. Hope this helps! :)

dbosman
10-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Reliably?
After you see the female in a cave with a male and fertile eggs result.
That will be at between about eight months and three years. Or so.

Bristle nose is a catch all term for a lot of fish that are all shaped roughly the same. Depending on how wide your definition is, it could be half dozen to over two hundred species. If you consider only the genus ancistrus, there are about 60 named species.

The common aquarium shop bristle noses can generally be told apart at about six months.

axolotl2
10-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Wow, thanks for the information. I am going to do some research and try to figure out exactly what I have.