PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE...On my Babies(PICTURES)

AquaQueen
08-06-2007, 02:09 AM
Well I have been back for a little while now and I was thinking tonight that I have not made an update on my Oscars. They are doing Great! They Love being in the big tank. We had a few plants and caves in there but they are always digging up the plants so all that is left are the ones that have weights on them, the cave I didn't like it so we left it out. I think they are getting HUGE! I love how they know us and when we have food in our hands they go NUTZ. I took a bunch of new pictures to share so here they are. Hope ya like them.:41:

salman
08-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Wow! they are soo big! My oscars are taking forever to grow! Correct me if im wrong, but didnt you post a thread like this about 2 weeks ago?

AquaQueen
08-06-2007, 02:18 AM
not that I know of....I know I posted a thread stating I was back. I had been gone from the forum for a few months. Maybe that is what you are thinking of? I know I didn't post any new pictures of how big my babies got. Oh Yea almost forgot about the slide shows I posted a lil while back but they were all old pictures.

RobbieG
08-06-2007, 02:23 AM
The babies look like they've had a very good mommy! Very happy & healthy looking fishies:19:

AquaQueen
08-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Thanks Robbie! I can't take all the credit for them though...lol They are my Hubby's fish...I just watch them and buy their foods so he can feed them. I take the pictures of how cute they are and share them here with all of you. I do have my own fish but they are not as Massive as these guys.

salman
08-06-2007, 02:45 AM
The slideshow must have been it. Why do you keep calling them babies? They are HUGE!!!

Lady Hobbs
08-06-2007, 02:57 AM
Your oscars are beautiful and look so well cared for and happy. What size tank are there in? They look like they have lots of room to frolic.

I was reading an article about planting a tank that had digging cichlids and a good idea was mentioned, I thought. Use the plastic grid, like that what goes over a light or even the plastic grid for UGF, cut it in pieces about 6 inches square and slide your plant roots thru the grid burying the rest in sand or rock. You could use a whole piece of grid but if you wanted to pull up a plant, you'd have a harder time so cutting it in sections was suggested.

Now I want an oscar. But then, I want every fish that someone else has! LOL

AquaQueen
08-06-2007, 02:58 AM
because they are still babies...lol

salman
08-06-2007, 03:00 AM
Your oscars are beautiful and look so well cared for and happy. What size tank are there in? They look like they have lots of room to frolic.

I was reading an article about planting a tank that had digging cichlids and a good idea was mentioned, I thought. Use the plastic grid, like that what goes over a light or even the plastic grid for UGF, cut it in pieces about 6 inches square and slide your plant roots thru the grid burying the rest in sand or rock. You could use a whole piece of grid but if you wanted to pull up a plant, you'd have a harder time so cutting it in sections was suggested.

Now I want an oscar. But then, I want every fish that someone else has! LOL

We never like what we have lol. We would even want mollies if someone posted a pic!

AquaQueen
08-06-2007, 03:17 AM
Wow Hobbs a minute before me...lol Thanks we try to do the best we can for them as we do for all of our pets. I believe they are in a 60gal tank...I will ask hubby tomorrow(he's sleeping). We our talking about trading my 37gal Hex to the owner my my LPS for a 75gal he has been after that tank even since I found it...I dont know yet though I have had that tank from the beginning. Anyway back to the topic...lol They do have lots of room still in that tank...they love it. They have started to slow down on their growing now that they are getting so big...I read that is normal. Thanks for the tip on the plants I will definitely try it out...We took the UGF out of our 30gal and we have no plans to use it again but saved it(don't ask why) I could just cut it and try it out. I wanted the plants to stay in but I wont put my hand in to fix them(I love the Oscars but I am afraid of them more) so I usually pull them so they dont bug me...I hate looking at uprooted plants.

I have an idea...You can dream of having my Oscars and I can dream of having your Angels...and when we open our eyes we can snap out of it...lol

I still won't buy another Angel you know...I saw some really cute ones last week too and had to rip myself from the front of their tank because I know they will just die in my tank.

Lady Hobbs
08-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Not me! I hate mollies!!!!

I love all my fish but wish I didn't have so many angels hogging all my tanks so I could have others I want as well.

Just today I moved one mean so n' so into four different tanks before he would stop attacking others. He even went after my silver dollars and tetra's. I finally put him in a tank with my largest and meanest angel thinking if this didn't shape him up, nothing would.

Lady Hobbs
08-06-2007, 03:22 AM
HA. Read the next post I wrote about the angels.

You have me thinking of maybe I might just put severums in my 55 and then oscars in my 75. hummmmmmm

I sure am tired of looking at this 75 gallon stand sitting here with a plant on it. LOL

AquaQueen
08-06-2007, 03:23 AM
I wish I could take some off your hands I want Angels SOOOOOOOOO bad..That was one of the reasons we started keeping fish...we had great luck with the first pair we got then when we sprung a leak a few yrs back everything went downhill I have tried over and over to get a new pair and they all have died so I gave up.

AquaQueen
08-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Other then waiting until I see one laying eggs, is there any other way you can tell what the sex is? If so how old do they have to be before you can visually sex them? They both seem to be in love but I have never seen any type of mating action going on between them. I really don't care if they mate or not I was just curious if I have two of the same of one and one. Thanks.

Willyleigh
08-07-2007, 01:09 PM
How old are your oscars?

I have had some for a month now and they are getting much bigger than they were. I have been feeding them on high protein pellets, they love them.

tropfish
08-07-2007, 02:31 PM
they looks really good. i used to have the same aquarium background as you too, i just changed it.

AquaQueen
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Willy,
I have had the Org & Wht one since December last yr and the Blk & Org since January(I think) so I'd have to say one is 9 months and the other 8 months...they grow very fast if fed right as babies but when they get closer to adulthood they slow down.

Tropfish,
Thanks! I really don't care for that background it came with the tank and it was all taped together..."Major Hack Job" it is not that it is ugly just the way they hacked it up makes it look gross to me. They will be in a new tank probably a 100g by February...So I will buy a new background then.

2manyfish
08-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Your oscars look wonderful PauliesAquaQueen!! :19:
As far as sexing them you're going to have to wait until you see them spawning I'm afraid. There just isn't any real way to tell until then!

Hobbs, I think you would enjoy an oscar!!

crackatinny
08-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Great looking oscars, I never really liked them, untill my wife wanted one, now I'm glad I gave in to her (I usually do LOL), they are so intelligent, and like you say they are big babies, no matter what size they are.

Salmon, Oscars normally grow VERY fast, ours went from about 4inch to 10inch in a matter of a few months, what size tank is he in?

AquaQueen
08-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks Crackatinny, I am glad to know I am not alone when thinking of them as babies...lol They are a great fish to have and I wouldn't trade them in for the world!!