PDA

View Full Version : Golden Nugget Pleco?

BiGBlak
09-30-2011, 03:42 AM
I have a BN pleco in my 55g that about 4in and in my area i cant find none that size they only have baby baby's like nano tank size ones and most likely it will get killed because of its size. So i was at the LFs a few hours ago and spotted about 3-4 golden nugget plecos nice color similar size my BN currently is so i was thinking in the store if i should get it so i pulled out my Iphone and pulled up its profile to see what size they could reach and its in my ball park reaching only 6 max 8 in in captivity. Its a $35.00 fish so i wanted to get some insight on them from you guys. Could i do it in my 55g? Well i know i can but whats some experiences with them and stuff like that. Thnx.

WaMiss
09-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Love Gold Nugget Plecos! Don't know much about them though. Trillianne just posted a picture of hers yesterday and it's so pretty! Ask her!! :ssmile:

Crispy
09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I've kept a gold nugget plec for a few years now. they like excellent flow and turnover. ontop of that they need well oxygenated water. I highly recommend malasian and/or mopani driftwood. the tank and driftwood should be very well established as they graze on the microfilm. they will take both vegetable and meaty foods and both should be provided.

they grow very slow and I've seen very few raised to adult sizes, but they will do okay with other plecos. I had my little guy in a 190g with huge plecos. as long as he can hide, he'll be alright. now I keep him in a planted 55 full of wood with a small royal and gibby plec.

they are awesome plecos, but require a bit of dedication to keep happy and healthy.

Trillianne
09-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Crispy is right on with his comments. Especially with the wood. I had two small pieces in the tank and when I added my large piece it was like a pleco magnet!

The other comment that I found very helpful is to be especially wary when purchasing that they have already been acclimated to domestic tank life. It seems most people run into issues because a large number of them are wild caught and the fish seems to have trouble adjusting his feeding. And if he doesn't swap over, some of his good stomach bacteria have died off and he basically starves.... (this was advice I've seen in a few places and in response to my questions)

So keep an eye on your lfs plecos and see if they are there in a few days and ask questions about how long they have had them, how well they are eating, etc.

free3tbz
11-11-2011, 02:22 AM
my personal fav kind of plec...

they come in multiple shapes and dot sizes...but all dont grow very quick and tend to stay on the small side for most of there life

free3tbz
11-11-2011, 02:24 AM
here the start of this vid is my gold nugget...hes no longer in that tank as the oscars and piranha have out grown him...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eZxypctHMY

gold nuggets...i wish i could have a tank of just them