PDA

View Full Version : Drip systems

kufan
08-05-2007, 05:44 AM
I was looking at some things on the net about drip systems, because I was thinking about putting coral in my tank once it gets cycled and I get a clean up crew and make sure everything is stable. I was wondering what drip system people used and what additives (iodide, phosphate, etc..) everyone used.

KU

Fishguy2727
08-05-2007, 01:53 PM
By drip, do you mean a trickle or wet/dry filter? The ones with Bioballs can cause nitrate problems. I would suggest against them. Marineland has one with a giant BioWheel (the Tidepool system), this won't trap debris like Bioballs, which is what causes the nitrate problems. What size tank are you thinking of?

2manyfish
08-05-2007, 03:08 PM
In all the saltwater tanks I've ever had I never used additives. Instead I relied on water changes to replace all the essential minerals needed. Now if I was going to do a clam only tank or really, really get into SPS corals then I would want to dose calcium. But that would be about it. But if you plan on having only a clam or two or maybe just a couple of SPS corals then water changes should be sufficent.
BTW you would not want to add phosphates to your tank ever!! You want to keep this as low as possible! :ezpi_wink1:

Fishguy2727
08-06-2007, 12:34 AM
...but you have to use a good salt. From what I have heard Instant Ocean is a basic salt, whereas Reef Crystals (made by same company as Instant Ocean) is a higher end salt. It helps buffer pH and is supposed to hold calcium at 450.