PDA

View Full Version : Best kind of ferts for attached rhizome plants?

mermaidwannabe
09-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Since my anubias aren't planted in the substrate but are attached to objects in the tank and most of their roots are above the gravel with only one or two actually resting on it (not in it), it would seem that root tabs wouldn't reach them to feed the plants. If I were to lightly fert my nubes, what would be the best kind to use and how would I administer it? I read here that Excel can kill fish and possibly shrimp, so that one isn't an option for me.

I'm thinking of something I could use sparingly that won't alter the pH of the water.

-- mermaidwannabe

BiGBlak
09-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I have the same question that i was about to post since my tank is mostly anubias attached to driftwood but you beat me to it. Until someone with experience with different brands of ferts and things i was thinking of getting seachem flourish and seachem flourish iron.

Fisharefriends27
09-29-2011, 05:49 PM
I would say for the most part they don't need ferts. If you want to get some still go with flourish excel and start from a low dosing amount and increase if you see any deficiencies. Kinda creeping up until you find the tanks balance point. It worked for my 29(with different ferts though) until I got co2 and now everything still out of wack. Lol.

mermaidwannabe
09-29-2011, 07:47 PM
I know nubes generally don't need any, but I have a couple that look like they might benefit from the boost. My oldest one, that is, the first nube nana I got, has one leaf that is turning a yellowish-green when it used to be a true green. I think I read somewhere that yellowing leaves indicate a lack of sufficient nutrients.

I have another that I recently purchased where several of its leaves have separated from the rhizome at the base of their stems. Either something is eating those leaves off, or they're rotting off. I notice that rhizome is dark brown and not green like the other rhizomes, so it could be the whole plant is dying, and may have been when I purchased it. Can the rhizomes normally be either green or brown, or is this a sign of trouble?

The rest of my nubes are fine.

Would Flourish Excel alter the pH if used sparingly in very small doses and not too frequently? Also, could it kill fish and shrimp. I think one member here related her experience that Excel killed her fish.

I don't plan to do any CO2, as I don't have any plants that need it.

While my java ferns are all healthy, they could probably benefit from small doses of ferts, also.

Anyone else use ferts on their Anubias? What do you use besides Excel?

-- mermaid

Taurus
09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourish.html

Trillianne
09-29-2011, 09:13 PM
I just use the regular Flourish complete liquid fert.(Not the Excel) My anubias that i originally bought attached to a log has extremely long (3-4")and abundant roots and I've split the plant once already.

smaug
09-29-2011, 09:49 PM
any sort of liquid fert will do just fine,just not alot as anubia are not very hungry normally.

mermaidwannabe
09-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the link, Taurus. I saved the page in my favorites menu.

I'll try to find the Flourish complete liquid fertilizer. I know my LFS sells the Excel, but didn't know there was the other. If I can't find it there, maybe F&S or Pet Solutions will have it.

Thanks, folks.

By the way, from what I described, do you think that nube that's losing its leaves is being attacked by something in the tank, or is the rhizome dying and the leaves rotting off at their stem bases? What color should a healthy nube rhizome always be? Or can it vary, and it doesn't mean anything? This one is a deep chocolate brown, but the rhizomes on my other nubes are green or at least greenish.

-- mermaid

smaug
09-29-2011, 10:28 PM
They should be a dark healthy green.

Trillianne
09-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Mine are both very dark green, with new leaf and root growth more yellow-green and then darkening up as they unfold.

mermaidwannabe
09-29-2011, 11:02 PM
I'll keep an eye on that one plant. If it continues losing leaves, I'll remove it. It started out with six and only has two left. It's the only one that's happening to. I thought at first those tiny snails that hitch-hiked in might be eating the stem bases of those leaves, and I also notice little holes eaten out of the leaf portions of some of the other nubes. But if something is eating entire leaves off one, why not the others, as well? Leads me to believe there's something wrong with just that one.

I found the Flourish comprehensive liquid in PetSolutions. They're selling it along with all the separate Flourish products, including Excel. Is the comprehensive the one you use, Trill? You said yours was a "complete" liquid formulation, so it sounds like it's that one.

I plan to keep the dosing miniscule and infrequent. Just enough to resupply what's deficient. The regular nitrates in the tank should suffice in the meantime. I believe in generally putting as few chemicals as possible into aquariums.

-- mermaid

Trillianne
09-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Yep that's the one.

The holes in the leaves... look up potassium deficiency for pictures, it might not be something eating them, it might be a mineral lacking in your water source.

Do the holes appear, then start to yellow a bit and grow larger?

mermaidwannabe
09-30-2011, 01:32 AM
No, they don't yellow. And in addition to holes, I see where the outer edges of some of the leaves have become ragged like something has been chewing on them. In the 65 with the tall nube, it's probably my goldfish. But in the 20 with the nanas, I only have minnows, danios, glofish and Red Cherry Shrimp, along with a few snails.

Could this be eatage, or also a lack of potassium?

If I were to add potassium, how would that affect the pH in my tank? Right now, it's around 7.5, and that's where I like it.

-- mermaid

mommy1
09-30-2011, 02:07 AM
This might help you out a little.
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/deficiencies.htm

mermaidwannabe
09-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Interesting article, Mommy, but it addresses plant deficiencies in high light and high CO2 situations, neither of which apply to my tank. The section that mentions leaves falling off at the base has the cause of that being insufficient light. The nube in my tank that is doing that is in a part of it where the light is brightest. Also, my understanding is that Anubias in general don't require high light to be healthy.

Thanks for the link. It was still an informative read.

-- mermaid

mermaidwannabe
09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm just going to order the Flourish comprehensive formulation and take it from there. Chances are, it will have everything the plant is going to need, since it includes combined nutrients.

Sounds like my best course of action ...

-- mermaid

Trillianne
09-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Interesting article, Mommy, but it addresses plant deficiencies in high light and high CO2 situations, neither of which apply to my tank. The section that mentions leaves falling off at the base has the cause of that being insufficient light. The nube in my tank that is doing that is in a part of it where the light is brightest. Also, my understanding is that Anubias in general don't require high light to be healthy.

Thanks for the link. It was still an informative read.

-- mermaid

I don't think you read that quite right Mermaid. It addressed deficiencies and was stating they are more noticeable in High Light/CO2 as the plants use up nutrients quicker so an item that was lacking is noticed sooner.

The actual deficiency effects on the plant are generally the same. So you can use that chart for your set up.

mermaidwannabe
10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
My LFS is going to ship me some Seachem Flourish comprehensive on Monday. Meanwhile, because I have invertebrates in this tank, I queried their tech support people about the copper content in this product. The tech said it contains 0.0001% copper, and is perfectly safe when used as directed. I intend to use only minimal dosing, just enough to keep the leaves of my anubias from yellowing.

Has anyone else used Flourish comprehensive in a tank with invertebrates? Did you use full dosage? How did your shrimp and / or snails fare? Just want to get some idea of what to expect ....

I know that this tank currently has zero copper in it.

-- mermaid

Lady Hobbs
10-10-2011, 02:19 AM
I would say for the most part they don't need ferts. If you want to get some still go with flourish excel and start from a low dosing amount and increase if you see any deficiencies.

Excel is not a fert but a suppliment for CO2.

Mermaid......I've used Leaf Zone and Flourish both without problems with shrimp. (Not at the same time, of course.)