PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp

stridin
09-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank and it currently has 1 blue gourami, a young angle fish, 2 male Guppys, and a couple of corys-1 spotted and 1 bronze. would I be able to add cherry shrimp? Or would my bigger fish eat them?

Brhino
09-27-2011, 02:18 PM
your angelfish would likely eat them all in short order.

stridin
09-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Also I the cherry shrimp would get eaten is there a type of fish that could be added to my tank that takes care of algae? I dont have a algae problem at all, havent even had any green tank sides yet! ( I have one of those magnet tank side cleaners so I guess I must be keeping on top of it lol

Lady Hobbs
09-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Your tank would probably work for the cherry shrimp if those angels were rehomed. That tank is not large enough for a pair of angels or really, even one.

Cherry shrimp may get eaten by the gourmai but he may not find them all and some will survive.

korith
09-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Most fish will consider the shrimp as a food source. Even fish that are the same similar in size to the shrimp may try to pick away and eat them as well. I think the only fish that they are really safe from is otocinclus. I do keep red cherry shrimp with some microrasboras which are slightly under an inch in size. I haven't seen them pick off any of the baby shrimp, but its possible.

Lady Hobbs
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Right on. Even my neons and rasbora's pick at the small ones.

jetajockey
09-27-2011, 09:22 PM
The only fish I keep in my shrimp breeding tanks are otos and bn plecos.

stridin
10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Hi My angle just died :( so now would it be wise to see if the gourami would try and eat the cherry shrimp?

Lady Hobbs
10-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Both angels died? Why did they die? Have you cycled the tank? With dying residents of the tank, I would add nothing until you find out why something dies.

Strider199
10-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Plus1 on Lady Hobbs post.

If your tank just had deaths, you need to find out why before adding anything. Cherry shrimp require good water parameters. If you have the slightest ammonia or nitrite readings from your test the shrimp wont survive.

As the above post asks, Is your tank finished cycling?

Very important before you go throwing money at it.

If you are not sure about cycling, click on the link in Lady Hobbs signature and read away.

It's not the end of the world when a fish dies but knowing why the fish passed away helps you learn. The folks here are willing to help, honest.

stridin
10-17-2011, 09:46 PM
I only had one angle so now I have none of them :(. I wasnt planning on adding anything until Im sure whatever is going on is cleared up. I only have a ammonia test so tonight I am going to get a test kit that does the nitrites and nitrates. any other type of test that I should get?

Lady Hobbs
10-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Sorry. Don't know why I thought you had written 2 angels. But whenever in doubt, even without test kits, do water changes. And don't be afraid to do a water change of half and even more. Always dechlorinate the water and do your best to make sure the temps are what is in the tank now.

stridin
10-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Sorry. Don't know why I thought you had written 2 angels. But whenever in doubt, even without test kits, do water changes. And don't be afraid to do a water change of half and even more. Always dechlorinate the water and do your best to make sure the temps are what is in the tank now.

this morning I did a 50% water change and yes I always dechlorinate the water(where I live you can sometimes smell the cholrine in the water! thank goodness we filter our drinking water!!)

Furface
10-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I have adult Siamese algae eaters in my shrimp tank (look like giants next to the shrimp) and the shrimp are doing great, constantly overpopulating. The shrimp need the help keeping black hair algae under control. I net out excessive adults and put them in a large tank with guppies and 7 clown loaches. They pick off baby shrimp but don't touch the half grown or adults. The shrimp help keep the algae down and do other cleanup chores in the large tank. Eliminated the need to vacuum the substrate.

stridin
10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
I have adult Siamese algae eaters in my shrimp tank (look like giants next to the shrimp) and the shrimp are doing great, constantly overpopulating. The shrimp need the help keeping black hair algae under control. I net out excessive adults and put them in a large tank with guppies and 7 clown loaches. They pick off baby shrimp but don't touch the half grown or adults. The shrimp help keep the algae down and do other cleanup chores in the large tank. Eliminated the need to vacuum the substrate.

so you dont have to vaccum the gravel in you tank because of the shrimp?? thats awsome!