PDA

View Full Version : How To Question on breeding

PhoenixRajoNight
09-25-2011, 05:24 AM
I was wondering if it was possible to cross breed a livebearing fish with an egglaying fish. I would assume the female would have to be the egglayer, and the male the livebearing fish, if it were possible. Would the instinct to fertilize eggs still make the male be able to release onto the eggs in the tank instead of in the fish, and would it even work if it did happen.

Has anyone ever tried this. I want to breed my black mollies with my black skirt tetras.

I know it seems like a dumb ? but you never know.

Rhaethe
09-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Short answer -- Not possible.

Complex answer - to do with biochemistry, chromosomes, surface proteins and rejection mechanisms

A scientist in a laboratory might think of some way to jimmy it all together with the added help of some extra chemicals and advanced equipment and techniques. But I'm skeptical of even that.

PhoenixRajoNight
09-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, i was hoping some fish fanatic was gonna be like yes, but its very difficult.

I'm good with science, I've always loved the ocean and fish. I recently started with an aquarium, maybe I should delve into marine biology and figure it out, lol like u said a scientist might be able to do it.

I wish I woulda started out with fish earlier, maybe I woulda had it figured out by now. I stayed away from it because as a kid the fish always died on me. This I found out was to do with, as a kid just picking fish that looked nice, not knowing u should get alot of the same fish in groups for some of these fish, not mixing certain fish in the same tank, not knowing bout acclimation, and all the other little tidbits that you dont think to ask about as a kid and nobody tells you.

Brhino
09-25-2011, 02:21 PM
it would be about as easy as crossbreeding a human with a yak.

Lab_Rat
09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Why would you even want to do such a thing? Hybrids are already a huge problem in the hobby, why try and make more?

PhoenixRajoNight
09-25-2011, 04:53 PM
I dont plan on selling them or mixing with other peeps aquariums, I want them for my own tank and thats it. I want to preserve the species separately, but if i could combine them too it would be nice, Ive alrdy planned out a finance plan to get the equip and the like for seperate communities.

I like dalmation mollies, but i would like a striped version instead of a speckled version, if anyone knows a breed like this with mollies, id apreciate the info. I also like the skirt on my tetras, and the picture in my head of the cross is astounding, but i know it prolly wouldnt be like the picture if it happened but i want to try.

Brhino
09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
you're not getting this. They're vastly different species. Like I say, it would be like trying to cross a human with a yak.

When Rhaethe says scientists could be done in a lab, she's talking about genetic engineering done with multi-million-dollar budgets. She's not talking about something you could buy for your home.

Unless you have the backing of a genetic engineering corporation or a research university, you can forget about hybridizing anything but the most closely related species... and like Lab Rat says, doing so is ethically questionable anyhow.

Rhaethe
09-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Well, there are a couple species of "molly" that have bands or stripes, so if that is all you are looking for, you don't need to hybridize with another species.

Google image the following, and see what I mean:

Poecilia latipinna

Poecilia velifera

briden31
09-25-2011, 06:11 PM
it would be about as easy as crossbreeding a human with a yak.

That would be an UGLY baby! I'm hoping the mama would be the yak, cause I don't think any woman would want to give birth to that, especially if it were to be born with horns. Bestows an image in my head of something rather Dr.Seussish... Can we name the baby Yakmere? I think that would be a good name for a yak/human cross.

As for the fish, nah, it won't work.

Aeonflame
09-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Actually it would be as easy as crossbreeding a human with a platypus.

KingFisher
09-25-2011, 06:42 PM
http://diszhal.info/halak/Poecilia_velifera3.jpg

mommy1
09-25-2011, 07:02 PM
http://chzupnextinsports.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/funny-sports-pictures-troll-science1.jpg

Aeonflame
09-25-2011, 07:13 PM
It DOES work!!!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/amithrius/BlackSkirtTetraWFCh_C2975copy-1.jpg

Cliff
09-25-2011, 07:16 PM
As much as I donít want to close the only thread the shows in the new posts section right now, I think the OP got his answer