PDA

View Full Version : Pleco selection?

Spidyman
09-23-2011, 02:37 PM
So i have a 40 gallon grow out tank for africas, peacocks now. I want a place to help my clean algea of the areas I can't reach. I know it is my job but a pleco can make my life easier too. I need one cause I seem to have a algea problem that will not go away I've tried more wcs, bigger filter and I still have problems.
What is a species I can get? (it dies not need to be fancy either)

SmokeyCFH
09-23-2011, 02:41 PM
So i have a 40 gallon grow out tank for africas, peacocks now. I want a place to help my clean algea of the areas I can't reach. I know it is my job but a pleco can make my life easier too. I need one cause I seem to have a algea problem that will not go away I've tried more wcs, bigger filter and I still have problems.
What is a species I can get? (it dies not need to be fancy either)

common pleco...you don't want one too small otherwise the cichlid's will destroy it, even with it's armor, I've had small cichlid's kill and eat a small common pleco.

Lady Hobbs
09-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I think I would work on why you have the problem, really. High phosphates is a good reason for algae and perhaps simply using a phosphate remover would solve your problem. I've never had a pleco of any kind. I had a couple of featherfin because I thought they were cool and also a couple bristlenose but I got them because I wanted them, not to clean the tank.

But for that size tank, rather than a foot long pleco, you may want to try a featherfin but I'd also check the phosphates, and cut down on hours the lights were on.

ekfishlover2011
09-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Rubber-nose Plecos only get 5-6 inches and they have armored skin so they are durable, and they do a great job with algae problems. I have one named Steve in my 40.

Spidyman
09-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Thanks, I was thinking of rubernose and BN's. Also thanks lady I will try a phosphate remove.