PDA

View Full Version : Plecos and PraziPro

ekfishlover2011
09-23-2011, 01:06 AM
I plan to treat my tank with PraziPro for a parasite i think i have. Its the best medication out of al the ones i looked at according to the It says it is not Invertebrate-Safe, so shrimps ( i think there are 4 in there, ill get whatever i find) and the snails will be removed to the shrimp tank. The guy i spoke to at the store on the phone told me about the other medicine i was looking at that its not safe for the pleco either. Another i researched wasnt good for any bottom feeders at all, because it was tablets that they could eat and overdose. This stuff is a highly concentrated liquid, safe for the biological filter (and it says to actually put the dose in the filter). Is it safe for the pleco?

Strider199
09-23-2011, 01:29 AM
I've never used it but it does say that it is safe for bristlenosed catfish fry so you should be ok. As with all med's, you can never be sure of the out come.

dbosman
09-23-2011, 01:30 AM
It's supposed to be safe for plecos. Let us know how it works out for you.

Material Safety Data Sheet. (MSDS)
http://spinner.cofc.edu/grice/pdf/MSDS/Rm107%20Wet%20Lab/PraziPro.pdf?referrer=webcluster&

...broad-spectrum anthelmintic agent effective against all schistosome species parasitic in humans as well as most other trematodes and adult cestodes.

Lady Hobbs
09-23-2011, 01:32 AM
I dose all my fish with PraziPro. I pay no attention to what's in the tank. My bristle nose were in the tank as well as my corys. Certainly didn't hurt my snails any, either.

Brhino
09-23-2011, 01:33 AM
I used an extended dose of prazipro in my 75g tank (stock in sig). No fish or inverts suffered from it... in fact, it ended a streak of deaths.

ekfishlover2011
09-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Okay thanks! Ill remove the snails anyway. Theres more food for them in the shrimp tank. And i shall leave Steve in so he can be parasite free as well. :) If its not parasites im going to go with my first guess and the fish in question (this all started with a sick tetra) will be euthanized. It says its safe to use as prevention, so no worries about harming them if they dont have parasites. Better to treat for something not there than to not treat at all i always say. As long as directions agree...

dbosman
09-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Snails act as an intermediary host for a huge number of parasites.

ekfishlover2011
09-24-2011, 10:21 PM
So i should buy some invertebrate safe stuff and treat the other tank too?

ekfishlover2011
09-24-2011, 10:49 PM
The only snail-safe parasite medications this store sells are "Prevent Ich" and "Ich Attack". Will ich medications kill off other parasites too?

dbosman
09-25-2011, 02:46 AM
Since snails are intermediary hosts for so many parasites, if your fish have parasites, killing the snails should be high on your to do list. More will hatch from eggs.

ekfishlover2011
09-25-2011, 03:12 AM
My snails dont lay eggs.