PDA

View Full Version : @#$% you raccoons.

Scrup
09-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Raccoons managed to get into the pond. Normally its too deep for them to get out into the pond, but they flipped over a potted plant and it landed smack in the middle, giving them a perfect perch. Dead goldfish all over the ground. They ate two of them, and just pulled the rest out and killed them, then scattered them all over the yard. Most just had teeth marks on them and scales ripped off. Very depressing day.

Two of the offspring from last year managed to hide, they were small enough I guess to fit in the roots of some of the plants or in small crevices and I found about 15 fry, so the legacy lives on. Even though they were just 27 cent feeders from petco, its still pretty sad losing them after a few years and watching them grow. Didn't even realize how big they had gotten this summer.

skullduggery1
09-19-2011, 02:31 AM
I have a problem with raccoons as they are destructive.They will try to pull chickens through the little holes in the wire.Sorry to here about your fish,they have ran into a full on assault from my cattle dog,as they try to eat the amphibians from my wetland habitat.

Cliff
09-19-2011, 02:52 AM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck Scrup

I few years ago, a freind of mine had problems with muskrats getting into her pond. It's never fun to have to deal with a situation like that

genocidex
09-19-2011, 03:19 AM
proximity mines? those would make quick work of them and youll never see them around your yard (or whats left of it) again

MCools
09-19-2011, 03:26 AM
Sorry about the raccoons getting in!!!!! :scry:

I hope you can keep them out next year!

Lady Hobbs
09-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Darned varmits. They're probably keep coming back since they found food there, too. Ya might have to put out some live traps. I don't know as moth balls will help.

smaug
09-19-2011, 09:52 AM
From another pond owner,I'm sorry about that. I have been lucky so far and not lost any to mother nature. Coons are some smart critters and tough to deter.

Lab_Rat
09-19-2011, 12:24 PM
That sucks.

Aeonflame
09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Maybe a dog? Nothing dares enter my yard that isnt invited.

WaMiss
09-19-2011, 02:37 PM
:11:
Sorry.

WhiteDevil
09-19-2011, 02:46 PM
ammonia applied with a sprayer or turkey baster will keep the racoons far away, also a few drops of coyote urine will chase everything away critter wise.

WaMiss
09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Some may find this cruel, but this is the racoon that ate my chickens!! He came back over a period of 2 weeks and got every one of my chickens that were locked inside their coop, first he dug under.....so we dug down too and put chicken wire down 2 feet deep around the coop. Then the others were pulled through the chicken wire on the coop. The chickens we have now are locked inside a chicken house every night. The racoon now lives on the fireplace mantel. Sorry if this is offensive to anyone.....I live with all boys that are hunters!
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/TracyTet/racoon.jpg

dmagerl
09-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Dont mess with raccoons!

Edit: Rats! How do I get an inline picture instead of a thumbnail?

genocidex
09-19-2011, 05:20 PM
use the thing that looks like a mountain and a sun, its nect to the hyperlink button.

if you are try to rid your yard of things that sniff for food, you can always try crushes red pepper flakes, its like mace :P

Scrup
09-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks everyone, I think I'll look into electric fences or motion sensing water sprayer.

My always sweet mother in law suggested I put out a catch em alive trap then toss it in the pond.:ssuprised:

wskynajar
09-20-2011, 03:38 AM
Yeah!!! A good coon dwag is what you need...lol... I got neighbors across the river from me that has a few an i would be more than happy to give them to you. they will definitely let you know something is out there at 3:00 am.

Cyberra
09-20-2011, 04:31 AM
Make pillows out of the raccoons. Be a nice revenge *has a coon pillow on my bed*

@WaMiss - Any chance that I'd be able to buy a coon pelt from you some time in the future?

Lady Hobbs
09-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Some may find this cruel, but this is the racoon that ate my chickens!!

I didn't find it cruel but necessary. When they kill your critters, then they have to go. They are varmits, carry diseases, eat duck and pleasant eggs, kill baby rabbits and get rabies. And if they get in your house or garage, eat your wiring. They're about as useless as opossum, armadillo's, ferral cats and fire ants. LOL

Scrup
09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
At least armadillos are good for a laugh. Ever spooked one during the day? Its like a scene from the benny hill show, only instead of the music they grunt.

WaMiss
09-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Make pillows out of the raccoons. Be a nice revenge *has a coon pillow on my bed*

@WaMiss - Any chance that I'd be able to buy a coon pelt from you some time in the future?

Sure! If another one eats any chickens....I'll send you the pelt!! The neighbor has a mink pelt from a mink that got into his chicken coop!

I didn't find it cruel but necessary. When they kill your critters, then they have to go. They are varmits, carry diseases, eat duck and pleasant eggs, kill baby rabbits and get rabies. And if they get in your house or garage, eat your wiring. They're about as useless as opossum, armadillo's, ferral cats and fire ants. LOL
We recently set up a trail camera in our Miniature Zebus little house, we found some sort of animal droppings around his house....we think it may be a cougar. Hard to trap something like that without trapping the Zebu too.

I've never seen an armidillo, but in the wine shop here they have a wine holder that is an armidillo on it's back that hold your bottle and looks like he's guzzling it!!

Cermet
09-24-2011, 01:49 PM
A cougar!!!! Wow! Be very careful at night since those things have, rarely, attack people (and have killed a number of people over the years.) While such attacks are very rare, they are ultra-deadly. If you have children, you should be hyper careful - maybe a fence (not that they can't jump it but it would tend to keep them away from walking around your house and thinking it as their territory.) I think some powerful fire crackers would be a good thing to keep on hand if you donít like guns.

I too have raccoons and have had to kill a few rabid ones over the years - one such sick animal attacked (repeatly) my car and refused to leave - I had to drive away and come back for it. The sick ones are not safe but will come out in the day and refuse to run away - that is a giveaway that the animal is very sick and dangerous - night patrols are normal (I ignore those animals but will test them at times to be sure they are not getting ill) and they should always run away if you make noise.

A friend of mine would trap them (humanely) and release them far away where no people lived.

Good luck.