PDA

View Full Version : This might take a while...

ekfishlover2011
09-18-2011, 11:57 PM
So i went to the store today as planned to get my new shrimps and start a cherry colony. They had a total of 7 shrimps in their tank. :/ SO i got 4. They also were all extremely young. I cant even tell male or female. None are completely solid red, so im assuming as of now that i have one (or two) females and two (or three) males.

One is an ugly clear with slight yellow orange color starting to come out now that "hes" getting comfortable. Two are mostly red with white bellies and some white speckles on their backs, but maybe they are going to become more solid. The last one is almost completely solid red, with a white area where the legs are and some clear speckles as well, but much darker red than the other two. I call that one the definite female.

Since they are so young, its gonna take forever before i even get a berried female, and then i gotta wait for her eggs to hatch... Forever. I have to go in again for my test kit that i reserved, so when i go in for that hopefully theyll have more older shrimps, and i can get some then. Til then... Seemingly empty 10gal tank with nothing but 4 tiny cherries and a moss covered castle. Yay.

frefal13
09-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Why don't you try to get some shrimp online? You can get pretty good deals on ebay and aquabid. Also can you post some pics of your shrimp, the coloring of some of them seems a little off to me, I have never noticed the colors you mentioned in any of my shrimp.

ekfishlover2011
09-19-2011, 12:49 AM
you never noticed clear and red? Or do you just want the orange one?

I dont get online because i cant see exactly which shrimps im getting, how they've been kept, how old, health, or sex.

ekfishlover2011
09-19-2011, 12:55 AM
The two speckled ones are now mostly red, and the mostly red one before is now completely red. The orange one is now still odd colored, but not as ugly. It was clear when i got it. They all started changing colors when i fed them some food (i checked ingredients, no copper or copper sulfate).

frefal13
09-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Most people sell mostly juvenile shrimp because they ship better and they don't want to have to replace dead shrimp. I dunno to me it just doesn't make sense to buy so few shrimp for the same price as so many more shrimp but if thats the way you want to go with it thats your choice. The colorings you described just sounded odd to me, but if they are coloring up thats good.

Brhino
09-19-2011, 01:11 AM
how much was each RCS in the store?

frefal13
09-19-2011, 01:18 AM
I think in his other post he said they were $4 each

ekfishlover2011
09-19-2011, 01:24 AM
they were 3.99 each. I know internets cheaper, but id still rather see what im getting and i like being able to say i want that one! :)

ekfishlover2011
09-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Got him! Took awhile to find him. They are so small i have to search forever to even find them, and then half the time they end up sitting right in front of me the whole time. Looks like he turned the right color now too. Clear with red stripe on back and a few red speckles otherwise. Sorry about bad quality, all i have atm is phone because i misplaced usb for camera so cant upload from that. Hes sitting on the mostly buried shiny gemstone marble. See what i mean by super tiny? The black gravel is normal aquarium gravel, not big gravel, not small gravel, but typical stuff you find everywhere in rainbow and neon and blue etc. And yet compare him to the gravel... tiny little guys. And hes not even the smallest:

Brhino
09-19-2011, 02:09 AM
I've been hesitant about buying stock online too. Thus far RCS are the only animal I bought online. It worked really well though... I got 20 shrimp for $4 more than what you paid for 4 of them, and they all arrived healthy and red. I don't know if 4 will be enough to start a colony or not, especially if you have some kind of mishap and lose 1 or 2. You might still consider picking up a batch from the internet to add to the ones you got in the store.

Anyhow, as for what you've got, you have 2 that definitely sound like males and 1 that definitely sounds like a female. The last one may be a yellow shrimp, which is another color variation of the same species. The offspring of red and yellow shrimp will be plain brown, I am told, but since you're breeding for food, not for show, that shouldn't matter to you.

ekfishlover2011
09-19-2011, 02:16 AM
So the one in the pictures probably a yellow shrimp? Yea im going to get some berried ones from the store next time i go in, as they should be restocked by then and there will be many more to choose from. I plan on getting maybe 5 berried females (no guesswork there, obviously female) and maybe two more males.

Sidenote: Will Blueberry and Cherry Shrimp breed? The people at the store said they are dif and wont, but the internet said they are same species just different colors. I was told somewhere that the babies would have wierd ugly colors and not be desirable, but my fish really dont care what color their food is, so... Will they breed or not? I think that would be cool to have some blue, some red, some brown, and maybe some purple or something idk what color theyd be lol.

Brhino
09-19-2011, 02:28 AM
the one in the pic looks like a male RCS to me. Is that the one you first called yellow orange? If so, I take back what I said about possibly having a yellow shrimp.

Are you sure that you can get berried shrimp from the store? Have you actually seen them there before?

As far as blueberry shrimp, I don't know anything about them beyond what an internet search tells me, but looks like (although there's a lot of confusion) they are another color variety of the same species as RCS/yellow shrimp. So they would breed with RCS and produce plain colored offspring.

ekfishlover2011
09-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Yea, the first time i got one long ago she was berried, but she got killed by a territorial ghost (never saw that coming) and i decided they were too expensive to try again. The cherry shrimp in this store are usually there for a while, due to the fact that you can get them so much cheaper elsewhere, so i guess they mate alot while there, and they dont pay attention to anything. They love to sell the berried ones actually for some reason, i always ask in any kind of shrimp i get for one with eggs, and they gladly oblige. They seem to actually consider the babies pests, or they want to prevent overpopulation so when people take the berried ones they dont have to worry about it anymore. :) And okay, my store doesnt sell yellows (or at least not on purpose) so ill get some blues too because for some reason they are .$50 cheaper, so they can breed with my cherries and my fish can deal with brown shrimp and get over it. The browns would probably have a higher survival rate in the main tank anyway, so they could keep that population going a little too and let me have more time to restock them in between shrimp genocides.

SIDENOTE: My sunday school teacher was telling me how he thinks its cruel to raise shrimp just to feed to fish. I asked him if he likes veal. He said of course, that stuffs awesome. I said "well, thats raising a baby cow to eat, so i dont see difference, especially since my shrimps have a chance to run away from the fish and some do survive as shown by the fact that i put my 5 remaining ghosts back in the tank and i still see 3. And thats 2 months after there were 25. So, some survive, not many, but some. And the baby cows have no chance, they are raised and then herded off to a slaughterhouse where no survivors ever come out. Breeding shrimps for a natural food chain is not cruel. Also, you eat shrimp too, so... Yea." He was shocked by my awesome arguement. :)

ekfishlover2011
09-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Yea, definitely female. She colored up the rest of the way now.
The definite male still looks the same as last nite. And theres actually a this color with just a drop more of red one, i guess its the one i thought i took the pic of, but i actually took a picture of the other one that is the male. Does that make sense? Lets see if i can get a pic of it... Ill upload it later if i can. Its so hard to keep track of the tiny gravel sized things they gave me, especially in low light. And the last one is either a female that has bad genetics and so isnt as bright as other one, or a male that is slightly more colored than normal, i cant tell. Its hiding deep in the moss and i cant get a good pic since it wont come out. Im just gonna find a similar one online... Found one. Is one with this coloring a light female or a dark male? Or do i just have to wait and see if it has eggs eventually or not?

Brhino
09-19-2011, 09:28 PM
that one's a male, I'd say.

ekfishlover2011
09-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Im sorry im posting so much, but i keep trying to find the pics. I got them all now. So the lighter red one has just developed a saddle (pic from online again)
so i guess that answers that question. That makes two females, but i dont think my male is old enough to breed yet, so shes wasting her time. And i was looking online to see if this is a common appearance to have orangeish cherries, and there it was. A new color variety of the cherry shrimps, "sunkist" or "orange cherry". Heres the online picture i found:
And heres my orange dude(ette?):
Looks like same shrimp to me. :) I love the things you find at That Fish Place when you're not looking for anything special. Ive got so many rare or new varieties or mixed breeds of stuff they never noticed they had.